Update on pin oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I took a quick trip to the woods on the atv to measure that pin oak. I think it was Jay asked about the size. It measured from 28" at the smallest to 30" at the largest. So as expected, my 16" bar will work just fine.

I thought that was a pretty good size one! Nice.........30 inch I know they get bigger but that ones in the woods.

3 x 12 or 16 workbench tops or bridge planks! (though White Oak would last longer outside untreated)

Thistle said:
3 x 12 or 16 workbench tops or bridge planks! (though White Oak would last longer outside untreated)

LOL Love it....Going to start posting my logs before I cut, prodject starts at TIMBER!

I love it. Nice to look at a log,chunk,plank or small piece & think "Does this have a fruitbowl,candlestick,small cabinet in it or is it just heat or food for the smoker...? :cheese: "

About 15 yrs ago I was at one Uncle's (he's only 1 left now) for Memorial Day dinner.Had his huge old upright smoker made from large boiler in back yard,nearby a small stack of odd shaped fresh-cut & green Black Cherry short logs & a gnarly burled stump maybe 14" across & 16" long.I asked "Can I have a piece of this,I got's an idea..." He said "Oh I can get you a 6 foot straight log next time you visit,you dont want that old ugly thing..." I took a sharpie,made a couple lines on the end grain & wrestled it into my truck bed. The largest piece I cut when I got home ended up being a thin-walled bowl 5" thick x 9" across several months later that they got on my next visit.It was still in their dining room last I noticed,even though they moved since.

Naturally I used to always look at the logs and imagine how I would cut it for lumber. I've gotten over that now; it is just firewood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Naturally I used to always look at the logs and imagine how I would cut it for lumber. I've gotten over that now; it is just firewood.

I think its time you get some action photo shots of you in the cross cut! Thats a nice tree for it........

I'll wait until you are ready to tackle a crosscut Jay! Yes, it would be a nice one but I'll stick with the chain saw, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.