Update on score of white ash!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Hey everyone! Posted a thread about 3 weeks ago on a score of white ash I was working on at my work - a road crew was (still is) taking down trees along a side road on my work's property. Well........have already bucked, split and stacked four full cord during the last three weeks. Ash, cherry, and sugar maple. Started on a red oak today and managed about a 1/4 cord. Luckily I'm only ~ 5 miles from work and I try to get at least one load per day after work and then about 3 loads per day on the weekend. At this point, there is so much wood - all log length red oak, red and sugar maple, birch, beech, ash, cherry, etc., etc., that I'm thinking I'll have about 10 cord hauled out by spring (with plenty left for other folks). What a sweet find! Strangely, I've only seen one other worker taking any of the wood, even thought lots of folks burn. Oh well, those willing to bust butt shall prosper!!!! (or at least be warm.....). Looking forward to a long day of cutting tomorrow! I'll post a pick when all is said and done, and let you all see the 'final score'!

wood spliter said:
Sound like a great score. You don't even have to travel out of your way. Knock off work and get a load!

Whenever possible!

NH_Wood, where you at? You need some help?!

S

Great find and close to home too!

I think for a lot of people, burnig wood for anything more than ambiance is way too much trouble, while for a majority of the others buying split firewood and moving it into the house to burn is all the effort they are reay to put forth. Some are probably unable to do much more, some have other priorities, and some are probably just lazy, but it always surprises me how few scroungers there are. Even a lot guys who process their own wood but logs because they don't want to add the extra trouble or extra time of cutting or collecting it themselves. We are a rare breed, apparently.

Ummmmmmmm, yeah............ let me know when there are leftovers too ! I'll be right down.

Wood Duck said:
I think for a lot of people, burnig wood for anything more than ambiance is way too much trouble, while for a majority of the others buying split firewood and moving it into the house to burn is all the effort they are reay to put forth. Some are probably unable to do much more, some have other priorities, and some are probably just lazy, but it always surprises me how few scroungers there are. Even a lot guys who process their own wood but logs because they don't want to add the extra trouble or extra time of cutting or collecting it themselves. We are a rare breed, apparently.

Indeed, this describes me. I'm probably gonna burn 3 cords this year, and I've bough all of it. Most was delivered, but just yesterday I borrowed my neighbor's truck and picked it up -- 5 truckloads! I might like to split wood for fun and exercise, but I don't have a truck and I am time constrained (2 kids, almost 4 and almost 2).

I've started to develop the philosophy that wood is free, and the only thing I'm paying for when I buy it is splitting and delivery. The other day I saw a guy at home depot with a small dump truck, and I asked him how much he would charge to move my ~2 cords of wood 1 mile. He asked for $100 (so I borrowed the neighbor's pickup and did it myself; it took me and a buddy almost 3 hours to load, drive, unload, 5 trips). Even at $200/cord for green wood, which is good around here, most of that price is going to cover the time and transport costs for delivery. Even if the guys I buy from get the logs for free, I can't imagine they're making much money for all their work.

thinkxingu said:
NH_Wood, where you at? You need some help?!

S

Ha! I'm in Rindge - how about you? The wood is all on work property, and I think the bosses want the wood to be left for workers to utilize, rather than non-worker folks, otherwise would love to spend a day cutting and split the haul! Cheers!

Wood Duck said:
I agree! One aspect of burning wood I love is the fact that you can go out and find at least SOME portion of your heating fuel for free! I like doing the work, so I get all my own wood. Just this past year I've processed ~ 15 cord (I like to be at least 3 years ahead) and will likely process another 5-6 by the end of the summer. One of the major things I try to do is get far enough ahead that there aren't yearly rushes to find wood. If I had to ruch each year and worry about getting enough for the next seasons burn, I think I'd like the wood process a lot less. Being far ahead on supply means that I can c/s/s whenever I like and during the best weather of the year. P.S. I think I'm one of the worst (best!) scroungers around - my wife thinks I'm crazy, but I stop the truck for nearly ANY burnable wood ANYWHERE. I guess I have some kind of wood issue.......

Status
Not open for further replies.