Update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinelife

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2010
Way Up North Michigan
I posted a message last week about how I cleaned out my two back baffles and top one and found them pretty ashy. It had only been over two weeks also. I was doing this because I noticed it burning not so good and I was blamming the pellets, but really it was the exhaust path.

Well one week later I took the baffles out and cleaned them out again. After inspection I realized since I'm burning about 10 bags a week right now, I will need to do it every week to keep it running at peak performance. I also cleaned the outside horizonal path exhaust pipe which I will do once a month instead of twice a season.

I guess cleaning really depends on how much pellets your using and how bad you want it to keep performing at top notch. Seeing I spent alot of money I dont want my investment only giving me 80 percent back.....

Hank Hill said:
I posted a message last week about how I cleaned out my two back baffles and top one and found them pretty ashy. It had only been over two weeks also. I was doing this because I noticed it burning not so good and I was blamming the pellets, but really it was the exhaust path.

Well one week later I took the baffles out and cleaned them out again. After inspection I realized since I'm burning about 10 bags a week right now, I will need to do it every week to keep it running at peak performance. I also cleaned the outside horizonal path exhaust pipe which I will do once a month instead of twice a season.

I guess cleaning really depends on how much pellets your using and how bad you want it to keep performing at top notch. Seeing I spent alot of money I dont want my investment only giving me 80 percent back.....

X a gazillion

All cleaning related to ash is based strictly on pellet consumption and ash production. Never go by number of days, weeks, months, etc .... It is all use (or is it abuse?) based.

Hank Hill said:
....... I was blamming the pellets, but really it was the exhaust path.........I also cleaned the outside horizonal path exhaust pipe which I will do once a month instead of twice a season.

Do you have ANY idea of how many people do the same thing as you did, blaming the pellets, when the cleaning they're doing isn't correct or thorough enough??? LOTS!!!

The exhaust vent set-up also has a lot to do with it, as you found out with that horizontal run.

As we've said before MANY times, and I'm sure we'll say again MANY times, 80% of stove problems come from a dirty stove.

I agree. A clean stove is a happy stove ( someone here said that ) .
I am at once a week cleaning ,inclusive of baffle removal & exchanger scrape.
It's actually easier to clean if I pull baffle out.
Can perform weekly clean in about 1/2 hr.
See a HUGE pop in performance after cleaning.

About 1ton usage, pull out that leafblower and let it rip ! Clean exhaust with brush.

end of season, clean motors in place.

Only issue I have not resolved is lubing motors (manual says no-lube) ,
and pulling motors out for cleaning.
Is pulling motor for cleaning needed ?
Is there any site on lubing motor (manual says no-lube) , I looked many times,
can't find that port to lube.

UncleAnthony said:
Only issue I have not resolved is lubing motors (manual says no-lube) ,
and pulling motors out for cleaning.
Is pulling motor for cleaning needed ?
Is there any site on lubing motor (manual says no-lube) , I looked many times,
can't find that port to lube.

Jay Takeman is our resident "enviro expert". If he doesn't see and respond to this post, contact him by PM ("j-takeman") with your lubrication question....he's always glad to help a fellow Enviro owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.