Upgrading for efficiency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tim_J

Nov 2, 2022
Maine
I've got an old Pelpro HHPP2BD that came with my house. It's been solid, I just replace the igniter once a year and have had no other issues. I can't find any ratings on the current stove but I'm guessing 65% and a new ComfortBuilt hp54 is rated at 84%.
I'm wondering if I should replace this stove with a new high efficiency stove? Does that extra 20% equate to any real savings?

85 % one should qualify for a tax credit. Double check that. So for numbers sake say new cost is 4000$ 30% is 1200. Burn 2 tones a year say 500$ save 20% or 100$ a year. 4000-1200= 3800 or 38 years to pay it off. Old unit won’t last forever. You may burn more than 2 tons.
Buy insulation and/or a heatpump would be better money in my opinion.

All that figuring takes the fun out of buying a "certain must have" or new car too.

;lol

Reactions: johneh and EbS-P