ups back up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadking88

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2011
central Maine
i just ordered a ups back up so my blower can run when lost of power...
APC BE750G 10-Outlet 750VA 120V UPS System
got it for 69 bucks amazon...

As an FYI, I had purchased an APC UPS and it would not run a regular fan motor correctly. It was slower and sounded labored. I ended up getting a Cyberpower pure sign wave one and it ran the fan fine. This was suggested by both APC and Cyberpower for use with the pelllet stove. I am probably going to fire it up Friday night and will repost with run time and quality witj tje UPS.

roadking88 said:

This unit uses a modified sine wave, and will probably give you the same problems as IHATEPROPANE mentions above. The motors in these stoves need pure sine waves, just like the power co. produces, or the motors will hum , get hot, and eventually fail.

IMO, return the one you got and get the model IHP bought, or something similar.

IHATEPROPANE said:
As an FYI, I had purchased an APC UPS and it would not run a regular fan motor correctly. It was slower and sounded labored. I ended up getting a Cyberpower pure sign wave one and it ran the fan fine. This was suggested by both APC and Cyberpower for use with the pelllet stove. I am probably going to fire it up Friday night and will repost with run time and quality witj tje UPS.
im really thinking hard about buying that ups. Please post your results from your testing asap. Thanks

according to my harman manual this apc is tested with them and working great if you have the latest software (nov.10 2010 or later).
they also recommend tripplite model # internet750u, but that one had bad reviews...
my stove was mfg. in august of 2011 so i'm guessing it has the latest software installed...

roadking88 said:
according to my harman manual this apc is tested with them and working great if you have the latest software (nov.10 2010 or later)......

Not disagreeing with Harman, but IMO, I would fire-up the stove, and do a test of the unit....make sure you don't hear any weird humming noises, or sounds like the motors are struggling.

roadking88 said:

Using the standard batteries that are in there you wont get much running time though 10 mins tops I assume.
You have this system setup so that it would run when the power goes out and while it runs your house doesnt get filled with smoke, am I right?
Well what happens when you aren't home and the power goes out and after 10 mins the battery dies? The house will fill with smoke...
Here's what I ended up with, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67333/

Griny said:
roadking88 said:

Using the standard batteries that are in there you wont get much running time though 10 mins tops I assume.
You have this system setup so that it would run when the power goes out and while it runs your house doesnt get filled with smoke, am I right?
Well what happens when you aren't home and the power goes out and after 10 mins the battery dies? The house will fill with smoke...
Here's what I ended up with, https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67333/

well according to harman it will pulse the blower every few seconds to clear exhaust until the fire is out...
it is intended for a safe shut down only...

First test of the UPS:

Est run time is 30-38 minutes.

That is with my blower on high.

145 watts-175 when auger turns

Hopefully I can unplug it to see if that is really how long it last. Will have to wait until the wife leaves or the beeping will drive her to kill me.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Looks like it will come close to 30 minutes. I pluggedn it back in at about 25 minutes with it saying 2-4 left.

This is a brand new UPS

That is impressive! Did you bypass the function for the pellet stove to shut down?

No, it just runs as if no power went out.
I don't know if there is a way to have the UPS shut down the stove.
My hope is I am home to shut it down or get the generator going.

The APC website has a slightly less powerful unit and it estimates run time for 200 watts at 36 minutes.

I too got tired of smoke coming in house during power outage. I only run stove when home,
so I recently bought the CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD pure sine wave from amazon.com .
Much thanks to all on this site in recommending units such as this pure sine wave !

Charged it last nite. Ran stove this am. Bit the bullet and unplugged the cyberpower while
stove was running . Impressive ! Not a hiccup from the stove, kept running as normal.
Ran the stove on low for 10 minutes and the cyberpower went to 50% capacity. It operated just as manual stated.
So judging on that, this unit would run at least 15-20 minutes after power outage to allow power shutdown
to get the smoke out . Again, much thanks to all ! Now off to see if a small generator is in our future !

Status
Not open for further replies.