UPS backup for combustion motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
Do you think this would be a good idea? Has anyone wired one for this?

I think my combustion motor is 1.7 amp so 204 watts I believe unless that is FLA which I am not sure. It's small and doesn't appear to look like a 204 watt unit. I would think smaller.

The idea sounds good, But every time your stove tries to shutdown in the soulder season. The UPS willl try to keep the blower active. If you going to put a UPS somewhere? I think its best to do the whole stove. Seperating the combustion blower sounds risky as "will the control board handle the extra load"?

Proceed with caution.

I'm with J on this. I love a good science project, but this sounds difficult to implement.

Are you trying to achieve a fail-safe way to insure that the stove completely burns all pellets in the burn pot during a power outage without the cost of a UPS that can handle full stove load (including ignitor)? If so, then running nothing but the combustion blower with a small UPS would achieve this. But you would need something like a 120V DPDT relay to switch to the UPS onto the motor if the line voltage fails.

Carl

Although more costly, a small generator would offer heat, light and a microwave oven during a power failure. Depending on the power requirements of the rest of your home, you may be able to get even more creature comforts from a medium sized generator. I purchased a 5700W generator and I can run everything except the electric dryer. That includes an electric stove, tankless hot water (Oil furnace) and the water pump in the well. The generator needs gas about as often as the stove needs pellets.

I went with the Final Solution, which is a bit more costly but the best of all worlds: a 12 kW automatic standby generator plus a small UPS on the stove that is capable of covering the ~10 seconds required for the generator to start.

vgrund said:
I went with the Final Solution, which is a bit more costly but the best of all worlds: a 12 kW automatic standby generator plus a small UPS on the stove that is capable of covering the ~10 seconds required for the generator to start.

I'd love to have an on demand generator but just haven't invested that much, I use Harman's 512H inverter hooked up to my golf cart that I have re-wired to 12V to get the stove by until I can hook up my portable generator. In Jan. 09 I found out how well it would work, power went out at 7:45am and the stove was still burning when I got generator running at 5:30pm ...

Status
Not open for further replies.