US Stove American Harvest 6041 Multi-Fuel dirty burns-Run wood pellets in corn mode to save ignitor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have a friend who is getting dirty burns trying to run wood pellets using the corn program mode.
Also unburned wood pellets piling up in burn pot.

I know when I ran 100% corn, the inlet air damper has to be wide open.

Has anyone tried this? Can this be done?

You can set it to corn mode, throw in a handful of pellets, turn it on and wait for it to light. The ignitor runs half the time in corn mode. Once lit, switch it back to pellet mode. Job done. I did that a few times but its not worth the hassle to me.

The program is a bit different for corn. I'd bet the dirty burns are more about the brand of pellets being burned than having the stove in corn mode.

I will say I have never burned a single kernel of corn in my stove. Way too expensive, unless I pick my own from the field across the street, shuck it by hand and don't get caught doing it. Cherry pits, yes, but those light off like pellets do.

You can set it to corn mode, throw in a handful of pellets, turn it on and wait for it to light. The ignitor runs half the time in corn mode. Once lit, switch it back to pellet mode. Job done. I did that a few times but its not worth the hassle to me.

The program is a bit different for corn. I'd bet the dirty burns are more about the brand of pellets being burned than having the stove in corn mode.

I will say I have never burned a single kernel of corn in my stove. Way too expensive, unless I pick my own from the field across the street, shuck it by hand and don't get caught doing it. Cherry pits, yes, but those light off like pellets do.

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

Also have him pull the clean out trap covers on either side of the burn pot. If those are full of ash the stove will burn like crap. Plugging the holes behind the fake brick board helps with overall burn quality as well. 2 inch plugs can pop in to cover those holes and can be easily removed for cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.