US Stove Company Ash Vac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that USSC doesn't actually manufacturer that vac. It is made by Cleva.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200461674_200461674

18034_lg.jpg

i bought a hearth country 4gal vac at tractor supply. it has an 80db motor and a filter shaker so you can clear the filter w/o opening the vac.
it does come w/ a crevice tool and rotating brush attachment.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Fireplace-Ash-Vacuums/Hearth-Country-Ash-Vac
(more info in this link. but it was $99 at tractor supply sans the extra attachment kit)

haven't actually used it yet. stove gets installed on oct. 27th (can hardly wait)

but it's $30 more that the one listed in this thread.
not sure if the quiet motor feature and 2 included attachments make $30 worth of difference to you.
the one i got also is a gallon smaller that the northern tools one.
it does have a hepa final filter and a polyesther pre filter. and some sort of guard to protect the filters from embers. (though the vac is rated for cool ash use only.)
can't see a h.p rating. but it says 85cfm 800w 6 amp.

in any case, these two look to be the lowest cost vacs i've seen so far.
good luck with whatever you choose.

If I understand it right, even these specific ash vacs shouldn't be used for hot ashes. I can see that should you miss and vac up some hot ones by mistake, that these vac give you another layer of safety. I just can't bring myself to cough up the extra $$$ for that when I know if I let my stove go cold, scoop out any ash from the burn bot to a metal container, and then vac with my sears shop vac, the dump both into a covered metal container and take them outside away from the building, that should be safe. I pull the ash bin from beneath the stove and take that directly outside and also put that in the covered metal ash can. When that can gets half full, I dump it in my garden or on the lawn. I bang the vac filter out and return it to the vac. I've been doing this going on my 4th year. We have a whole room air filter going near the stove so we haven't seen much dust anywhere. So far so good.

yep.
my shop vac is so old they don't make hepa filters for it.
if i could have got them, i would most likely have gone that route instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.