USE 2 THERMOMETERS IF YOU CAN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
I've seen a few posts lately where there is some confusion or questions regarding temps between stove top and stack/ pipe temps. I have found it very valuable to use both (magnetic type) as a guide. When I reload and bypass is open my stack temp will climb rapidly and have to reduce the air trying to keep it under 600 til the stove top comes up to light off temp. There has been a few times I've pegged the thermometer on the stack while not paying attention! :bug:

After the stove top is up to temp, I light off the cat. I don't recommend using an internal stack temp as your guide for light off, it could be much different than the cat temp. A probe thermometer near your cat is much more accurate, but don't jump the gun, let the wood char for a good 10-20 minutes. After light off the stack temp drops off from 600 to 250-300, then the stove top starts to rise and settle out to 450-650 depending on how much wood and air I give it. I like to watch that stack temp and not let it get much above 300 thinking I may be wasting too much heat up the flue.

Be aware your temps may vary from mine and others depending on where they are located. Non-cat stoves tend to run a little hotter stack temps than cats from what I have seen. I like to keep my stack therm right below my first elbow about 18" above the stove top. The stove top therm is as close to the center as I can get it. Another thing I have found is all thermometers don't read alike. A good way to test them is by sticking them in an oven and compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.