Use wood with bug holes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JByrd

Dec 18, 2011
Indiana
I read the post URL below, and noted that this year I did have the powder post beetles for the first time. When terminex was here to do the regular house spraying, I did ask him to look at one of the critters I had in a small bottle. The bug stumped the guy, but said to be careful about taking the split wood into the house or garage in the winter prior to burning.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/86350/

Questions:
Is placing the split wood which had powder post beetle holes visible in the garage or next to the house a bad idea?
Are the beetles dormant in the winter?

The county utility company cuts trees next to the power lines and stacks the logs for the public. This is excellent since its pre-cut to use size. This is oak, cherry and other great firewood. However some of the logs exhibit bug holes in the center where they have been in the past. They are dark holes in the oak and ash.

Should these logs be discarded and not split or used for firewood?

Grab it & burn it.You should see some of the Red Oak snags & deadfall I'm always cutting,some looks like Swiss cheese lol.Just dont store more inside your house that will fill your firebox,wood carrier or ash bucket.Keeping it outside yet close to the house saves steps later on.No big deal to make a few trips bringing it in to burn.

After a steady diet of oak and cherry, feeding the stove a little protein in the form insects will do it some good.

Yes the firewood will be great even with bugs in it. When I have a piece that I think may have a lot of bugs (I see holes or bugs on the wood) it goes straight into the stove. Other pieces I'll stack in the house for a few days - but only a few days. I don't want to give any critters in the wood a chance to get out. They get a firsthand view of the fire!

The mullberry here gets riddled with holes and sawdust gets pushed out. The faint clicking noises stop when the logs cool down to about 40 f. I guess they go dormant. Then they feed the stove.

Thistle said:
Grab it & burn it.You should see some of the Red Oak snags & deadfall I'm always cutting,some looks like Swiss cheese lol.Just dont store more inside your house that will fill your firebox,wood carrier or ash bucket.Keeping it outside yet close to the house saves steps later on.No big deal to make a few trips bringing it in to burn.

From the outside right into a hot fire is the perfect place for that infested wood. I agree 100%

The only bugs I would worry about are termites. If I had wood with termites I'd carry it inside and burn immediately. Most of the bugs in firewood aren't interested in boring into the dry wood of your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.