Used 346xp: Orange is the new pink (pix) . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
Bought a new saw. No, scratch that--new to me. Used, but looks well-cared for.

Pix below. XP 346. Came with some goodies and a full tank of gas and bar oil.

I appreciate all the advice I've gotten here on saw selection, and have been weighing the arguments for the `buy-a-starter-saw, get-to-know-it' theory vs. `you-get-what-you-pay-for, get-a-good-one'. I checked my wallet, and decided a used saw that had a pretty good following here made more sense to me. I just couldn't see putting $400 into a new saw for myself at this time. Picked up this saw, gas tank, some bar oil, file, tool, a pair of wedges, and half-an-hour of advice from a young man who spent a lot of time logging for a living for $250.

To be honest, I was looking for a box-store joe-homeowner saw for a little less, but this felt right. Hoping for the best. It's got an 18" bar on it--seems like a good size for what we have around here.

Attachments

• 03232011029.jpg
    03232011029.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 387
  • 03232011031.jpg
    03232011031.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 386
  • 03232011030.jpg
    03232011030.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 360
Congrats on the new saw! Good choice and I hope it serves you well...

Very nice. That puppy will come in handy.

Great! Don't forget some chaps or pants to avoid unplanned trip to the ER ; )

Thanks, gents.

zzr7ky said:
Great! Don't forget some chaps or pants to avoid unplanned trip to the ER ; )

I was just thinking that this would be a good idea. Most folks I've seen around here don't use them--I'm not sure I've seen a pair in use, now that I think about it. But sounds wise to me.

I bought one about a year ago new for $500, so you did good. I really like my 346. It is my go to saw unless I'm bucking really big rounds. I forced my self to learn how to sharpen with a file and I usually file the chain every 1 or 2 tanks of gas. I think the key to any saw is to keep it sharp.
Enjoy
Doug

Great price and hard to come by, at least around here. I see one 346XP for sale near me, but the guy wants $400...the market is on the expensive side now, I'm hoping the bottom falls out very soon as I need a new or new-to-me saw and I'm shooting for a 346XP or 357XP class...none to be found for a good deal right now so I;'m keeping my eyes open and my wallet in my pocket so I cna pounce when isee a deal.

I"ve seen them discussed enough on here to think that this was a buying price. The young man that sold it said it got it from a saw shop where it had been left to get some work done on it, and never got picked up. He'd just been in these parts for a few months, bought a saw and a truck, and at this point was looking to cut his losses and get home. He told me that the one design flaw he saw with this is that you don't ever want to have the kickback brake engaged when you try to take off the chain, or you end up having to pry it off the sprocket--hope I remember that when the time comes! He also recommended filing the chain with every tank of gas, and showed me how. Said if you file a chain like that it'll last a hundred sharpenings, and if you take it in to a shop and have them put it on a machine, it only lasts two or three. I'm not planning any Paul Bunyan stuff with it, but I think it's a tool that will last me as long as I need a chainsaw.

All good advice I think. New thats a $500 saw, $250 in good shape with a gas can and B&C oil is a great deal in my opinion.

+1. I dropped down to a 16" bar vs. the 18", I like the balance better. Great saw, you'll really enjoy it.

You did great on a great saw. I like a 16" on mine but it will be fine with 18"

Also, definitely get some chaps. It only takes a split second for something to go wrong and they will be worth their weight in gold.

I really like Labonville as their quality is much better than the other brands I have seen at really not much more price.

+1 on Labonville chaps. I've been very pleased with the full-wrap model.

Make sure to follow the measuring directions on their website. Chap measurements are different than your blue jean measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.