used garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadfrog318

Dec 16, 2008
NW OH
Howdy all....I've been presented with the opportunity of purchasing a used Garn. The unit is described as being of size between a WHS 2000 and 3200. I would have to assume that this is a discontinued model. From what I've been told, the current owners weren't pleased with its performance (possibly didn't know how to properly operate it). Not knowing a thing about this type of boiler nor having seen the unit, what should a person look for when inspecting? Obviously missing / broken parts are a no brainer....but what should a person be looking for to determine the amount of use / known issues associated with used Garns? I would have to guess that corrosion in the water jacket and buildup in the flue might be of concern, but how much is too much, and will these issues, if present, be obvious? Also, based on the pictures of other members in the forum, there aren't too many places to inspect in the first place. Besides what to look for, where should a person be looking for issues? Any feedback / experiences would be greatly appreciated in this endeavor.

Pedro

Welcome to the Boiler Room, pedro. You came to the right place. I'm sure you'll get lots of help from our growing number of Garn owners.

pedro said:
Howdy all....I've been presented with the opportunity of purchasing a used Garn. The unit is described as being of size between a WHS 2000 and 3200. I would have to assume that this is a discontinued model. From what I've been told, the current owners weren't pleased with its performance (possibly didn't know how to properly operate it). Not knowing a thing about this type of boiler nor having seen the unit, what should a person look for when inspecting? Obviously missing / broken parts are a no brainer....but what should a person be looking for to determine the amount of use / known issues associated with used Garns? I would have to guess that corrosion in the water jacket and buildup in the flue might be of concern, but how much is too much, and will these issues, if present, be obvious? Also, based on the pictures of other members in the forum, there aren't too many places to inspect in the first place. Besides what to look for, where should a person be looking for issues? Any feedback / experiences would be greatly appreciated in this endeavor.

Pedro

How old is the unit? When you buy a new Garn they send you water test kits every 6 months. I would ask them for documentation showing that they did the testing. Garn makes sure that your water stays balanced and isn't corroding your system. They let you know if you need to add a chemical. As far as build up in the flue as long as they didn't burn green wood you should be ok. Check out the exit exaust and see how far you can see in.

The nice thing about the Garn is there really isn't very much that can go wrong on them. Over the years Martin has eliminated everything that isn't necessary to make it run optimally.

I'm unsure of the age of the unit....it's on the list of information to gather if and when I decide to scope out the situation...

sounds like an opportunity - if its not rotten

but you may also want to consider the possible drama getting it unhooked - out - and loaded - you may need to hire local help and a crane or large recovery vehicle for that big boy!

Tearing out & moving it doesn't concern me a bit.....I've got the ways and means....

If this unit is still in place and hooked up, I'll try to see if the blower works, if not, I may take a generator along and test that way....thanks for the water testing doc info......I'll add it to the list!

get the S/N off of the garn and then contact garn. they can tell you when it was built and who purchased it. they may also have a repair history or documents pertaining to any calls that were made in ref to that particular unit.
about the only way a garn can not perform, is not using seasoned wood.

Definately good advice.....

If and when I decide to go check it out, I wanted to be on the lookout for any particular known issues. But from what I hear so far, its difficult for the garns not to work, only the operator to work correctly.

pedro said:
Definately good advice.....

If and when I decide to go check it out, I wanted to be on the lookout for any particular known issues. But from what I hear so far, its difficult for the garns not to work, only the operator to work correctly.

Pedro,

This does sound like a rare opportunity, as long as the TOTAL cost to get the unit to your location is far enough below the cost of a new unit to make it justifiable.

topofthehil's advice is excellent, as I believe there have been evolutionary design changes to the GARN units over the years. Depending on the age of this unit, it may have features and functions that current models do not. Dectra has been producing GARN units for over 20 years, so knowing what this unit might have would help you evalutate it.

And you are correct that the units work very well as long as simple steps are taken to make it do so. I think you would have to try pretty hard to screw one up.

If I remember correctly, Garnification had a old one that had rotted out that he cut it apart for ideas on his home built one. I don't recall if he said why it had died though. Maybe PM him or he'll see this post.

Transportation is not an issue. It's only 70 miles away and removal will be on the sellers shoulders, to be loaded on my truck. The person is asking $4k for the unit...but having no idea what the Garns cost in general...shed's no light whether this is a good deal or not. I have a gut feeling that it is, provided it's in working condition. But as a previous post said, I'll inspect it and gather more info about it, ie age, model and SN, original cost. I just want to arm myself with any and all information before I put time and resources to the deal. I guess thats the next step. Once I get any more info, I'll give a shout out on the forum and get everyones 2 cents.

The price of the WHS2000 in June 2008 was $15,000 + options, +steel surcharge, +delivery. For me it was over $17k to get it to my dealer, which was a 3 hour drive away. I towed it home.

If it is in good condition, $4k is a steal, IMO.

I can fuel up the dually and be there thru the snow just like St Nic -- in the wink of an eye ;>)

whoooaaa!!!,

I had a rare opportunity like this. The unit was small a whs 500. It was small enough that I could handle it in my shop with my equipment. The bottom of the water jacket had rusted through. Right where all the sediment would sit. I flipped it over, cut the bottom third off and welded a new shell onto it. Filled it with water, put new bearings in the motor, installed some new firebrick and lit it. I worked it for 3/4 of a season then built my own out of a milk tank.

I think in my pic post way to the right are pics of that old unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.