Used insert, new questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VWman

Nov 29, 2008
N. Ky.
I recently ended up with an Aurora woodburning insert. Not sure if Aurora is the brand or a style of a brand name. I googled it but didn't come up with anything very helpful. I did find that a company named Dovre, I believe it was, had an Aurora model. Anyway... It has a rectangular "exhaust" vent, for lack of the proper word on the rear as opposed to a standard round one. Is this normal? The top of the back is actually angled on a 45 and the vent is located there. Not really the top, not really the back. I am planning on relining the existing masonry flue with stainless but the exhaust vent on the insert has a damper on it. I didn't think they were supposed to have one. This one is 14 inches long by 4.5 inches tall. I'm going to need to tie in there with the new flue. I can see how I can remove it but is this going to cause any problems with draft? It seems it may be very restrictive with it being on a 45 degree angle and then going straight up into the liner. I did a test fit and everything will line up fairly well. The previous owner used it as a direct vent into his chimney. My chimney was cleaned 5 years ago and only used maybe 6 times after that. Regardless, I wanted to reline the chimney for maximum efficiency. As of right now I have $0 invested in this insert. It was refurbished 3 years ago, and only used one season since by the prevous owner. It's very nice and I would like to get the most out of it as possible. Any ideas as to what I've got here as far as model, and what my options are as to this flue damper issue? Thanks!!

Steve

I don't think it is the Dovre - more likely a locally made stove since I found this ad on craigslist for a free standing of the same name...and this is not a Dovre or anything close....
As to the flue relining, you can probably find adapter to that size of some type which then go to a round - but it is an 8" round....I think.

14 x 4.5 = 71 square inches...which is a 8" in terms of flue surface area.

Notice some of the rectangular adapters located here:
http://www.lindemannchimneysupply.com/ventinox_directconnect.htm

My first thought is that this insert may cost a lot to install properly and may not be worth your while. It may also not be UL listed and almost definitely is not clean burning.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 266
Thanks for the reply. That looks like it may have the same ID plate on the front. Can't really tell. Other than that, it's not really like it at all. I was really hoping to be able to use it as we currently heat with propane. I'll see if I can do some more homework on it and see if I can get a positive ID.
Here is a picture I found. This is it exactly. You can see the damper handle at the top left, but no shot of the back unfortunately.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• aurora.jpg
    aurora.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 214
  • aurora2.jpg
    aurora2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 213
  • aurora3.jpg
    aurora3.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 200
Status