Used my new saw today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

860go

Oct 18, 2009
CT
After a lot of research, I picked up my first saw the other day. I got a husky350, as most of you know the 350 has been replaced in the line up. My local Truevalue had one left on the shelf for $300, so I couldn't pass it up. I only got to use it for a few minutes but I am very pleased. Thanks for everyones input in my other posts.

35018.jpg

Looks good, now get out there and giver! Post a complete review for others and some action shots.

Did you remember to buy your first set of PPE with your first saw? :coolsmile:

I allready had a bunch of PPE from work. Mostly stuff for welding work, but it will do the trick

860go said:
I allready had a bunch of PPE from work. Mostly stuff for welding work, but it will do the trick

Actually it probably WON'T!!!

Leather is worthless as chain protection, some argue that it might even make things worse as it gives the chain something to grab onto while it pulls into the meatier bits... You should be using the proper kevlar / Engetex padded chaps, gloves, and chainsaw rated boots - the pads in this type of gear are designed to self destruct and jam the saw chain and sprocket, hopefully before it gets the chance to do much damage...

While your arc-welding helmet does give pretty good face protection, you will probably be able to see much better with a logging helmet that gives you a face screen, along with ear protection and a hard hat...

PPE for one sort of task is seldom really well suited for a different one.

Gooserider

I too love my 350. didn't think it would be all that great being a smaller saw, but this thing rips. It keeps my log size down and that makes hand splitting easier!!

Yeah maybe it's just my newbieness, but the the saw seems to rip through anything I put it to. Seems to have a lot more power then I was expecting. On the PPE side, I don't use my welding helmet. I have a bunch of differnt shields that clip onto my hard hats, there made for grinding and chipping.

860go said:
Yeah maybe it's just my newbieness, but the the saw seems to rip through anything I put it to. Seems to have a lot more power then I was expecting. On the PPE side, I don't use my welding helmet. I have a bunch of differnt shields that clip onto my hard hats, there made for grinding and chipping.

Yes, a shield suitable for chipping and grinding would be adequate for a saw - are you also getting ear protection as part of the mix? If not they also make muffs that will attach to a hard hat - Actually that's what a logging helmet is - a hard hat w/ a mesh screen and ear muffs...

I would still urge you to get a pair of chaps, chainsaw boots, and chainsaw gloves.. All three have the padding intended to stop a saw that you won't find in PPE built for other jobs. Some folks use plain steel toes, which are better than nothing, but supposedly the injury numbers show a lot of the foot hits are to the top and sides of the foot where the steel toe wouldn't offer any protection. A saw-rated boot has the steel toe, and adds chain stopping padds in the rest of the foot area...

Gooserider

860go said:
After a lot of research, I picked up my first saw the other day. I got a husky350, as most of you know the 350 has been replaced in the line up. My local Truevalue had one left on the shelf for $300, so I couldn't pass it up. I only got to use it for a few minutes but I am very pleased. Thanks for everyones input in my other posts.

What was the 350 replaced by? I'm a newbie looking for a new chainsaw in the $300 range and it sounds like this was a pretty good saw. Is its replacement a good product?

35018.jpg

860go said:

35018.jpg

Congrats.........had mine for 10 years, I picked up the bigger 64cc. Your gonna limb with the 350 and get a bigger on for bucking. Never have enough saw. You know about the 350 muffler issue's????

I have a husky and think they are great saws. Not quite a Stihl but pretty darned good. I have lately been buying chains from the home centers and find that they don't last as long as I would like. Saw runs like a champ though.....no issues in three years.

If there's no pics, there's no saw................

NP

Shaner said:
I have a husky and think they are great saws. Not quite a Stihl but pretty darned good. I have lately been buying chains from the home centers and find that they don't last as long as I would like. Saw runs like a champ though.....no issues in three years.

chains from home centers? when you have a chance get a full chisel chain from either online or the local shop - you'll never get another safety chain from the home center again

Stevebass4 said:
Shaner said:

chains from home centers? when you have a chance get a full chisel chain from either online or the local shop - you'll never get another safety chain from the home center again

+12.3

Plus if you go to someplace like Bailey's or Amicks, you will find the good full chisel chains are cheaper than the Home Center junk...

Gooserider

I saw a two year old Husky 350 w/20" bar that "doesn't start" for $110 a couple days ago on Craig's List.

Flatbedford said:
I saw a two year old Husky 350 w/20" bar that "doesn't start" for $110 a couple days ago.

Never needs sharpening ?

Gooserider said:
Plus if you go to someplace like Bailey's or Amicks, you will find the good full chisel chains are cheaper than the Home Center junk...

Gooserider

+1 on that,

Amicks has very good prices, and you can get 3 of them in a standard USPS box~$4.95 shipping for 3 chains.

stee6043 said:
Stevebass4 said:
Shaner said:

+12.3

+22.875 and I'll raise ya' another 10.
Best change I did for the saw. Could not for the life of me figure why the darn thing took so long to cut a log. I came on here, read posts about different chain, went to the local guy. He made up a chisel chain for me in just a couple minutes, and MAN, it's a whole different saw.
Just do it! Best 14 bucks ( or whatever it was ) I've ever spent.

Dave

’berta Burner said:
Odd I have never heard of safety chain until I found this site. Maybe the free medicare in Canada is taken into account by Stihl when they sell the saws here

Possibly, although it may just be that nobody you knew used the term. It really is a bad name, as it does NOT make the saw "safe" - at best it makes it a shade less dangerous... Stihl does make safety chain though, it is their "Green Label" series of chains. The "Yellow Label" is the good stuff...

Gooserider

’berta Burner said:
Odd I have never heard of safety chain until I found this site. Maybe the free medicare in Canada is taken into account by Stihl when they sell the saws here
I think it's because we have fewer ambulance chasing lawyers. I don't know if it's fact or not but I heard that you cannot buy a new saw in the US with a yellow chain, that they come with a green chain and you need to buy the yellow chain separately. Looking at the Canadian Stihl catalog, some models come stock with yellow chain.

http://www.stihl.ca/downloads/2008 Catalogue Full - English.pdf

When I buy Stihl RS yellow chain, it comes with a warning on the box that it is only to be sold in Canada. Not sure waddup widdat.

Status
Not open for further replies.