Used my new splitter today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I bought a new, 12 ton swisher log splitter about 3 weeks ago, I did try it one night on a few rounds but I did a little more with it today. I dont think Ill run into anything this wont split, I had some big, knotty oak rounds it split no problem, the only time I thought it wouldnt split was a maple crotch, it hesitated but then popped it.
I see Dennis' and Dexters wood piles and say, man I have some work to do, I better get a move on as the doctor told me friday my hip needs a total replacement and I dont wont to be recovering in the winter so maybe by Oct Ill get it done. I have enough odds and ends to fill two more pallet bins so Ill probably make those this week,

IMG_6367.JPGIMG_6368.JPGIMG_6369.JPG Can fill two more of these

Glad your splitter worked out well, and looks like you have a nice head start before your surgery. It will be a great feeling having all that wood done and ready before you have to go through something like that.

Also very creative place for all the odds and ends, I am always looking for a place for those, usually they just end up on the tops of all my stacks, I like your method better!

I bought a new, 12 ton swisher log splitter about 3 weeks ago, I did try it one night on a few rounds but I did a little more with it today. I dont think Ill run into anything this wont split, I had some big, knotty oak rounds it split no problem, the only time I thought it wouldnt split was a maple crotch, it hesitated but then popped it.
I see Dennis' and Dexters wood piles and say, man I have some work to do, I better get a move on as the doctor told me friday my hip needs a total replacement and I dont wont to be recovering in the winter so maybe by Oct Ill get it done. I have enough odds and ends to fill two more pallet bins so Ill probably make those this week,

Good luck weatherguy. fwiw, both the wife and I have had both hips replaced. I did one in the summer and one in the winter. Much, much better in the summer. Or at least no snow and ice while you are recovering. That is because walking is the very best thing you can do for a new hip.

I remember having the first one done in July. Within 2 months I was climbing trees and doing pretty much anything I wanted. I also walked at least a mile per day along with whatever else I did. The one that was replaced in winter did not go so well. I walked mainly inside the house but got out when possible. Sometimes I just went out no matter what and sure enough, one day I slipped on the ice and went down hard. You may have heard me....

Anyway, most hip replacements go very well and so long as you stay active you should do very well. Let us know how you do.

My stacks are still nowhere near the likes of PapaDave, BogeyDave, BackwoodsSavage, Scotty Overkill, And the many others (list can go on and on).... All I see is BTU's...

Looks great. Glad the splitter worked well. My 21 ton hasn't stuttered on anything I have thrown at it.

Good luck on your surgery. I need both of my shoulders done from years riding/racing Motocross and ATV's.

cool idea with the pallet bins for the "uglies". I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery!

Thanks Dennis and Dexter, that why I want to get it done before winter, hopefully by Oct and have it rehabbed by Nov. I walk my dog for an hour every night so Im looking forward to doing that pain free, or at least relatively pain free.
Dexter, you getting rotator cuff surgery? I had one of those too, went well but took awhile to get my strength back.

Thanks Dennis and Dexter, that why I want to get it done before winter, hopefully by Oct and have it rehabbed by Nov. I walk my dog for an hour every night so Im looking forward to doing that pain free, or at least relatively pain free.
Dexter, you getting rotator cuff surgery? I had one of those too, went well but took awhile to get my strength back.

Yeah.... On both shoulders :(

I was told around 5-7 yrs on them. The right shoulder is overdue (8 yrs) and the left shoulder is at 6 yrs...... Im pushing the envelope now. They want to do both at the same time!! (6 months until I can go back to work/ if I'm lucky) But I will need someone home to do some of the most basic things. Like using the bathroom :(

WOW, thats some tough stuff for both you guys. Dexter I cant imagine that the doctor would allow you to be totally incapacitated like that. I hope both of you recovery quickly and are better then before. I had lower back surgery 15 yrs ago when I was 30 and it has never given me a problem since. Still humping lumber around the job sites and now humping rounds around the back yard.==c

Im surprised the doctor would suggest that too, a guys gotta be able to wipe his own arse, you always have final say so you gotta do whats best for you.

Was expecting to see pics of the splitter in action.
Nice looking wood processing set-up.

PS: Good luck.
I was down with back surgery, know what it's like to fall behind on the "homework".
The pic shows that you are in pretty good shape with wood, & you won't be down long.
You'll be able to make up for it by working with less pain, make it more fun ;)
Again, good luck

Its more of my own decision to do both. Being down for 5-6 months (total time with Physical Rehabilitation) or doing 1 at a time and being out of work twice?

I am the one for both shoulders. But as stated above. Even wiping will be impossible.

I'm sorry, but this is just going to slip out. My advise: put in a bidet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

http://www.bluebidet.com/

They use them all over the world in countries where wood products (paper) are not plentifull. I see them all over the place in Japan, for instance. And you don't even have to use your arms to activate them. Go for the type with the heated seat. The down side is that if you ever go anywhere else, it will be a shocker (you never realize how cold regular seats are until you use and get used to a heated one).

Good luck with that hip surgery, Weatherguy. Godspeed for a quick recovery. And Dexter, you must be REALLY close to your wife if yer gonna get her to wipe yer arse! The only thing my wife will do with my arse is kick it now and then.......whenever I ain't lookin!

I'm sorry, but this is just going to slip out. My advise: put in a bidet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bidet

They use them all over the world in countries where wood products (paper) are not plentifull. I see them all over the place in Japan, for instance. And you don't even have to use your arms to activate them. [/quote]
I don't think that would leave me feeling completely 'clean' downstairs, if ya know what I mean. :confused: So you are on the bidet, after you get your tailgate rinsed "clean" :eek:, do you sit there to 'air dry' or do you just pull your underwear up and leave your junkyard soaking wet? !!! Nope, no bidet for me. Just my two cents! >>

Prayers for the hip repl. weatherguy. At least you are ahead a little bit and can plan for this instead of something unexpected. That is why it is always nice to be ahead on the wood.....just don't what kind curve life is gonna throw you.

>So you are on the bidet, after you get your tailgate rinsed "clean" :eek:, do you sit there to 'air dry' or do you just pull your underwear up and leave your junkyard soaking wet?

Well, they make them with an air drier (hot or cold) like a hair blow drier too. But I'm with you.

My condolences also. Sorry for any insensitivity perceived. Injuries suck.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks for the well wishes, thanks to this sight I learned the importance of getting ahead on wood and I have 3 years worth right now, might have to have the wife lug in a few loads to put in the stove but she could use the exercise :p. My revovery chair is right next to the wood stove so Ill at least be warm.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.