Used New to me Quadrafire Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabindweller

Dec 16, 2022
Chilton WI
I recently purchased a 2009 Quadrafire Castile for my cabin. Owners said it had not been used for a couple of year but looked in good shape. I got it home and there were some parts (ash dump, ash slides, etc.) that were rusted so I started pulling everything apart and did a complete clean on the unit. Replaced all gaskets, thermocouple, and igniter while I was doing it.

Went to start it up for the initial test since rebuilt, everything seems to start up like it should. I did push the reset button, the pellets fell and it fired up in less than 5 mins. The problem I am having is that the thermocouple is not sensing the flame and not continuing with the dropping of pellets to keep the fire burning and it eventually dies out unless the reset button is pushed. I test the thermocouple and there is 20-30 millivolts coming from it. I am not getting any thermocouple lights on the control box unless I unplug the thermocouple and then the orange led flashes 3 time indicating a thermocouple fault.

Any thoughts? Is this a faulty control box? I was going to put the old thermocouple back in tonight to see if it changes anything. Thanks

The tcouple needs to be touching the inside end of the cover, or it won't read right. And it has to be sticking in the pot at least 3/4". And is this an oem part, or after market ? After market are notorious for being faulty, or wired backwards. kap

Reactions: gfreek
The tcouple needs to be touching the inside end of the cover, or it won't read right. And it has to be sticking in the pot at least 3/4". And is this an oem part, or after market ? After market are notorious for being faulty, or wired backwards. kap
Thanks for your reply. I verified the tcouple is seated in the end of the cover and it is into the pot probably a good inch since that is how far the bracket puts it in there. When I have the stove starting up and running after pushing the reset, I tested the output voltage of the tcouple and reads upwards of 25 milivolts.

I have to hit the reset on my stove sometimes. These stoves are timed to start. If they don't, it will go into shutdown mode. The stove has 4 minutes, 15 seconds to show proof of fire, and tcouple gets to 200*, before it will start feeding at normal setting. If stove is not starting, even after hitting reset, and the green light does not come on, try unplugging stove, pull control box, and reseat it. Sometimes they can wiggle loose just enough. Always remember to unplug stove to remove or install the control box, or you run the risk of toasting it. kap

Reactions: VintageGal
Well, I finally got a chance to work on the stove last night. First thing I tackled was to reverse the tcouple leads, red/yellow & yellow/red. Believe it or not but it fired up and worked flawlessly. Thanks for the insight kap, I would have never thought of that.

Reactions: kappel15 and gfreek