Using coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Feb 24, 2012
Southern Vermont
This is my first ever post to a forum group. I have been reading the discussions on building storage tanks, burning coal, and using draft regulators on flue pipe. All this information on how to extend or get more out of your wood boiler. I am currently using a Logwood AOB 36W wood boiler. I am currenly building a 575 gallon hot water storage system. (more on that later) My first question is I am using a insulated 6" ss chimney and was wondering if anybody has burned coal with this chimney. I have heard its not a good idea because of corrosion?? coal is acidic?? Also use of a damper in flue pipe?? Manual or automatic?? Any input would be helpful Thank you.

Sparky said:
This is my first ever post to a forum group. I have been reading the discussions on building storage tanks, burning coal, and using draft regulators on flue pipe. All this information on how to extend or get more out of your wood boiler. I am currently using a Logwood AOB 36W wood boiler. I am currenly building a 575 gallon hot water storage system. (more on that later) My first question is I am using a insulated 6" ss chimney and was wondering if anybody has burned coal with this chimney. I have heard its not a good idea because of corrosion?? coal is acidic?? Also use of a damper in flue pipe?? Manual or automatic?? Any input would be helpful Thank you.
Hi, Welcome to Hearth, Is the Logwood rated for coal? Anthracite or soft coal? If you can use coal a barometric would probably be best. I can't help you on the chimney, when I burnt anthracite I used a masonry chimney, Randy

It is rated for coal just no shaker its the chimney I am wondering about

I burn coal with a SS chimney, but I've also read that doing so will lead to chimney corrosion, some kind of acid is formed when burning coal that causes this... for tons more coal info, try the NEPA coal forum... nepacrossroads.com

Status
Not open for further replies.