Using DuraFlame logs to start your fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gernblandston

Aug 21, 2010
northeast ma
This morning, I fired things up with a Super Cedar Firestarter jobbie that I got in the mail a few months ago, and got to thinking that they look a bit like a DuraFlame log sliced down.

I've got a couple DuraFlame logs left over from the DBWS (Days Before Wood Stove), so I thought I might slice one up into 2" diameter cakes and give it a try.

Anyone else tried this?

I would never use a duraflame in a stove... they and other s like it tend to have additives, unlike super Cedars. At least that is my understanding. Most stove manuals say to not use the Duraflame log. I know you are using as a starter but even still, I will pass.

Shawn

Yeah - it will work. Using a small amount of duraflame as a firestarter won't have any negative impact on your stove. Without doing any testing, I do believe that the super cedar burns hotter than the duraflame will, but it probably won't be a show stopper. Nothing stopping you from giving it a shot.

Duraflame logs burn lower and slower than purpose designed firestarters. Like you I had some left over from before the stove and chopped them up on the bandsaw. They kinda worked but not great. There's several flavors of Duraflame and I think they actually make starters too.

I cut up some of those types of firestarter logs . . . to be quite honest they worked, but after three years of lighting fires I can do pretty well with just some kindling and some crumpled newspaper.

>>I cut up some of those types of firestarter logs . . . to be quite honest they worked, but after three years of lighting fires I can do pretty well with just some kindling and some crumpled newspaper.<<

Yeah, I have been using skids I bust up for kindling and they work great. I had a few of the duraflames left over from years gone by, so I got to thinking of how to get rid of them.

I see you have 'Unity Maine' listed in your profile. Do you by chance know anyone named 'Richard Quimby'?

Gern Blandston said:
>>I cut up some of those types of firestarter logs . . . to be quite honest they worked, but after three years of lighting fires I can do pretty well with just some kindling and some crumpled newspaper.<<

Yeah, I have been using skids I bust up for kindling and they work great. I had a few of the duraflames left over from years gone by, so I got to thinking of how to get rid of them.

I see you have 'Unity Maine' listed in your profile. Do you by chance know anyone named 'Richard Quimby'?

I know a bunch of Quimbys . . . and I think I've heard the name Dick Quimby . . . but I wouldn't know him from Adam . . . could also be due to the fact that there are plenty of Quimbys in the area.

When I was a kid, we'd spend time in Ocean Park, and there was a kid named Richard Quimby that lived in Unity. His parent's had a cottage in Ocean Park near our cottage. Richard played the drums and always carried an American flag wherever we went.

Long time ago. I always wondered what happened to him.

Gern Blandston said:
When I was a kid, we'd spend time in Ocean Park, and there was a kid named Richard Quimby that lived in Unity. His parent's had a cottage in Ocean Park near our cottage. Richard played the drums and always carried an American flag wherever we went.

Long time ago. I always wondered what happened to him.

There is a Richard Quimby in Montville . . . about two towns over. Could be the same guy.

Gern Blandston said:

There is a Dot Quimby who works at Unity College, should be easy to find on facebook if you want to shoot her an inquiry.

ChrisNJ said:
Gern Blandston said:

There is a Dot Quimby who works at Unity College, should be easy to find on facebook if you want to shoot her an inquiry.

That's right . . . you went to Unity College didn't you . . . I thought there was someone here who went to UC.

Status
Not open for further replies.