USPraxis Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCorcoran

Minister of Fire
Jan 5, 2010
Richmond, VA
I was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed their rental equipment. They rent out USPraxis brand splitters. They seem to be solidly made (from their website info), particularly since they advertise them for commercial/rental use.

Does anyone own one of these or have any experience with them? Are they prohibitively expensive (you have to telephone for price info)?

DanCorcoran said:
I was at Home Depot yesterday and noticed their rental equipment. They rent out USPraxis brand splitters. They seem to be solidly made (from their website info), particularly since they advertise them for commercial/rental use.

Does anyone own one of these or have any experience with them? Are they prohibitively expensive (you have to telephone for price info)?

http://www.logsplittersdirect.com/US-Praxis-LS9-5/p4172.html

If thats them then they seem expensive.

http://www.americanmsr.com/logsplitters.htm

I have one from the above company and depending on which one you buy they are less money and built better.

zap

Bailey's catalog $2695 for the 22 ton up to $3395 for the 34 ton. Definitely on the high end, probably more than the homeowner needs. But they look to be very well built.

Yeah, their video is impressive, but I always take those with a few grains of salt (that is, when the videomaker stands to make money from the product being demonstrated)...

They look nice, but those prices seem seriously disproportionate to the product.

I rented one a several months ago. I ran it with my Huskee 35 ton and my Built-Rite 24 HPWS-D. I'll exclude the Built-Rite from this comparison cause that just wouldn't be "rite". I saw no real difference between it and the Huskee in terms of performance. Granted the US Praxis was built better and nicer looking, but it didn't out split or otherwise outperform the Huskee, which cost me about $1700.

I can see where the US Praxis would be well suited to a rental/commercial application. The torsion mounted axle probably tows better. Don't really see any other advantage.

My (pure) guess is that the Praxis is more expensive because it is intended for commercial/rental use and is therefore more solidly built. For the average home user, though, the extra strength (and cost) would probably not serve any practical purpose. The Speeco's I've seen (but never used) look to be plenty solid enough for the home user.

Status
Not open for further replies.