USS Stove- Sheared off auger end

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nan123456

Mar 26, 2023
Maine
I purchased a used USS Stove model 6041HF and I have had nothing but problems! I’m burning Tractor Supply premium grade hardwood pellets. Some fines … but not ton. Auger jams & shears off the end of auger. I’ve gone through 2 augers. I have new auger but don’t want to install just for it shear off again!

Any suggestions on how I can prevent from happening again??!! Newbie pellet stove burner.

B2B1AAE4-8DB1-45A4-AA72-1E78982BB9AF.jpeg

Any suggestions on how I can prevent from happening again??!!
Have you replaced the upper and lower bushings? I would think something other then pellets are binding up the auger.

The hair pin should break before the auger sheared you could also use a smaller diameter hair pin.

1679919176519.jpeg

Reactions: johneh
what are you using for a shear pin? as said above the shear pin should break first. I keep a supply of cheep pins from the local hardware store as i break 1-2 a year if I'm being lazy and do not clean the fines out of the hopper every few months. Where are u getting your auger shaft from maybe a cheep knock off? I learned this year to stick with OEM parts as a couple of ebay parts cause me hug this year

Reactions: ARC
Hello
The best thing to do is use 100% softwood pellets on that stove. It is easier on the auger.
Also clean and lube the bronze auger bushing once a year. If you can find a strong High Temperature Nylon Bushing that size it could solve the problem.

Reactions: ARC