USSC 6041 PT - A few Questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum. I just purchased a USSC 6041 PT. This is my first pellet/multi fuel stove. I will be primarily burning wood pellets in it to heat my 950 SF house. It is not installed yet, hopefully soon. I was doing a pre installation inspection to familiarize myself with the controls. clean outs, etc., and to make sure everything was in order, and no defects. I'm also the type that has to know how everything works. I noticed the screws that hold one of the inside ash clean outs are backed out a fair amount allowing the clean out to be easily removed while the other side has the screws quite tight, and I had to actually loosen them to remove the clean out. Should these be loose or tight? I'm assuming they should be loose enough to allow the clean outs to be easily removed without tools. Another question is regarding the center damper slide. Should this be moved back and forth during operation periodically to allow ash to drop into the pan? I read this somewhere on the forum, but I didn't see it mentioned in the manual. The last questions are regarding a thermostat. I have read on here that it can utilize any thermostat as long as it is a millivolt unit. Does the installation require any soldering or just attaching the wires to some screws? I know it won't turn the unit off and on, only adjust the temp up and down. Sorry for all the newbie questions, and I'm sure I will have many more once I get it running. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks In Advance,

ScottyDaug

Welcome to the forum ScottyDaug,

good idea to get to know your stove completely before install & burning. If more people did what you're doing, there would be many fewer posts here asking how to run them, clean them, etc, etc.

As for the ash trap doors, as far as I know, the doors should be tight so air doesn't leak past them instead of going through the burn pot. You will only loosen the screws to remove the plates during cleanings.

The damper, according to your manual, should be started at 1" out, and then adjusted slightly in or out 1/4" at a time to get the best burn for your stove set-up, pellets, etc. Once a good burn is obtained, the damper should pretty much be left alone. On my stoves, I only start to open it a little as the stove gets dirty and the flame starts getting "lazy".

Yes, any millivolt stat will work, and it gets connected to 2 screw terminals on the back of the control board using solid core thermostat wire. Make sure to place the stat at least 15' away, and NOT directly inline with the stove blower. Most people on here are using a programmable unit, or even a remote programmable.

Don't worry about the "newbie" questions....we all had them in the beginning.

Welcome ScottyDaug,

imacman has most of the questions answered for you. But the 6041 requires spade terminals to install the stat. I just hooked one up for a pal that lives nearby. So far he's loving his stove.

Keep us posted on how you like yours and maybe post a picture once its installed an burning. We love pictures of the new toys!

Thanks for the quick replies.

All you have to do is connect the two wires to the terminals and remove the little black jumper in between the two terminals. As for the clean outs the screws on mine are tight enough that the clean outs slide up snugly but not tight

Scotty,
The screws are there to hold the plates snug, youi will be removing them to clean out behind there once a week or so. Just adj. the screws so plates don't leak much air and they will slide up and out. And be sure you get a vacuum hose that will fit back in there. Also I got a wire brush from a plumbing supply store ( like a bottle brush) that will get in behind and above the heat exchanger. Stat will hook up like others have said, and I have heard that the stove will not start or shut off but will change heat ranges 1 through 9, like my 6039. Welcome to the forum and best of lucj with the new heater !!

Schoondog

Welcome back Schoon! We miss ya bud! You need to be here more often to help out the US Stove members. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.