USSC 6100, not burning well?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 22, 2018
SEPA
So when I purchased our home it came with a USSC American Harvest 6100 plumbed in as an auxiliary heat to our furnace. The previous owner appeared to have let it get into disrepair so I rebuilt a lot of it (new gaskets, burn pot, exhaust fan) and did a thorough cleaning. One thing I couldn't repair is the damper. The original one appears to have been broken off so the owner upgraded the front backdraft box with one from a different model that had the damper on it.

I feel like my unit isn't burning as well as it should. I get black glass within 24 hours of it running at low and I feel like the flame compared to videos of other units I see online is quite small. Maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with pellet stoves but I'd like to get the unit burning in top performance.

Attached is a video of my current flame, that's been running for ~ 4 hours. I already had some slight black glass so I cleaned it up before taking the video.

What are the experts thoughts on where to go from here with tweaking this unit?

USSC 6100

Thanks. I increased the heat to medium and there was definitely less soot after burning all night. Maybe I never noticed this last year as it was colder when I got it running and went directly to medium.