USStove 5500m issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpeterso

Oct 22, 2011
Webster, NY
Hello!

Well, I recently took the plunge and purchased a Pellet Stove (USStove 5500M) to replace our Fuel Oil Based Heating system. I fired it up Wednesday to see how it would work. For the first three days, no problem!

Last night, it got a little wierd.

I woke up to the smell of smoke at 1:30 in the morning and came down to see what was up. There was a light haze, and after shutting down the stove and opening the windows, the haze cleared up quickly. I left the stove off for several hours and then inspected it.

Friday night, I had cleaned out the burn pot and removed all the ash I could. The glass had some soot on it, that I also cleaned.

Cut to this morning.

The glass was completely covered with a brownish soot, and there was grey/brown ash all over. It looks like I didn't put one of the ash doors all the way down.
I cleaned the stove again, and now, six hours after restarting the stove, there is brown soot on the top 1/3 of the glass. There is a fine layer of ash inside the chamber, but the flame does not appear to be lazy. The burn pot is not full, if anything it appears to be low. (I can see to the bottom of the pot)

The Pellets I picked up are labeled "Instant Heat Premium grade" from TSC.

I guess I have a few questions:

1) Is it normal to have some soot buildup on the glass?
2) If so, what's the normal timeframe between cleanings
3) Could leaving that ash door open have caused the smokey smell (which is now gone).
4) Anyone have good/bad experience with these Pellets? Any recommendations?

I'll speak to part of number three, all doors and trap covers must be properly closed and if gasketed the gaskets must be in good repair.

And as for number one, yes, the amount will depend on a number of things in a properly adjusted stove with an operating air wash there will be less than in other cases, and as for two, there is no single time frame between glass cleanings.

I'll take a crack at 1 and 2

1). Is it normal to have some soot buildup on the glass?

Depends on the performance of the stoves air wash system. But yes all stoves will get soot on the glass. Color can determain burn quality
White=lean
Light gray to chocolate brown=normal
Black=rich

2) If so, what’s the normal timeframe between cleanings

That depends on a few variables.
1.) is the stove
2.) is the quality of fuel
3.) is the burn quality

Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm hoping that it is because I didn't properly seal the ash door...which I will triple check from now on!

mpeterso said:

I'm hoping that it is because I didn't properly seal the ash door...which I will triple check from now on!

You should note that I didn't say that in your case that was what lead to the smoke, there wasn't enough information to say yes for causing the smoke to be in the room.

If the stove did an abrupt shutdown (for any reason) and didn't have a good natural draft in the vent system that smoke could have come out of the air intake.

SmokeyTheBear said:
mpeterso said:

You should note that I didn't say that in your case that was what lead to the smoke, there wasn't enough information to say yes for causing the smoke to be in the room.

If the stove did an abrupt shutdown (for any reason) and didn't have a good natural draft in the vent system that smoke could have come out of the air intake.

True. The stove was still running, and didn't shut down until I initiated the shutdown by hitting the off button.

There was a very strong wind around that time, and I'm thinking that might have also played a factor.

The door gasket appears to be fine: A piece of paper could not move when the door was closed and latched.

I verified all the joints of the Exhaust were alright and sealed with RVT. During start up, the smell of smoke was not present.

I have a 3" duravent kit installed for the exhaust that goes out horizontally from my house to a t-joint, and then goes vertical for 4 feet.

mpeterso said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
mpeterso said:

True. The stove was still running, and didn't shut down until I initiated the shutdown by hitting the off button.

There was a very strong wind around that time, and I'm thinking that might have also played a factor.

The door gasket appears to be fine: A piece of paper could not move when the door was closed and latched.

I verified all the joints of the Exhaust were alright and sealed with RVT. During start up, the smell of smoke was not present.

I have a 3" duravent kit installed for the exhaust that goes out horizontally from my house to a t-joint, and then goes vertical for 4 feet.

Is the unit OAKed?

mpeterso said:
The unit is not OAKed, the installer/salesman said it was an optional accessory and not required for my setup.

Search OAK and read some of the pro's and con's. You should form your own opinion.

mpeterso said:
The unit is not OAKed, the installer/salesman said it was an optional accessory and not required for my setup.

Perhaps the dealer doesn't actually have enough information to determine if one is needed or not.

The long and short of is it takes a lot of information to totally rule out an OAK.

SmokeyTheBear said:
mpeterso said:

Perhaps the dealer doesn't actually have enough information to determine if one is needed or not.

The long and short of is it takes a lot of information to totally rule out an OAK.

That is entirely possible. We didn't really discuss it at length as (apparently) not many people in my area use them.

I'll definitely read up on them some more and see if the initial plan to go without makes sense.

Thank you all for your thoughts, comments, and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.