USstove Multi Fuel 6041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmelch1

Dec 7, 2010
Chesapeake City, MD
Hello, I recently bought and began using this stove ,with wood pellets. When I ran it in auto with the heat range at setting # 3, The air at the stove blower vent was about 200 degrees which I was happy with, but the stove would shut down after about 4 hours with the err2 message on the display. so Iv'e been running it on the #1 heat range setting and it seems to work fine but my temp coming out has dropped to 100 degrees. So hopefully someone out" there" Has TWEEKED a good combo of heat , draft and vent settings that might keep My stove running and give Me more heat !!!! Thanks, CE

I have this stove as well. I'm running mine on 3 most of the time and 4 when it gets real cold. When i run in in manual mode on 3 i pull the damper out about a 1 1/2" and it seems to burn nice. In auto mode i pull it all the way out then push it back in about a inch or so till the flame looks good. Every stove burns a little different so your setting may be different. A friend has this stove as well and in auto mode he pulls his damper all the way out but it seems to loose to much heat out the flue that way to me? I also run mine on a t-stat to help save pellets and regulate the room temp. What settings have you tried?

emmelch1 said:
Hello, I recently bought and began using this stove ,with wood pellets. When I ran it in auto with the heat range at setting # 3, The air at the stove blower vent was about 200 degrees which I was happy with, but the stove would shut down after about 4 hours with the err2 message on the display. so Iv'e been running it on the #1 heat range setting and it seems to work fine but my temp coming out has dropped to 100 degrees. So hopefully someone out" there" Has TWEEKED a good combo of heat , draft and vent settings that might keep My stove running and give Me more heat !!!! Thanks, CE

If you can force the room fan to run on high instead of following the heat range you may be able to run the stove on #3 all of the time.

Also making certain the room blower is clean and if there are oil ports lubed may allow you to run it on #3 in automatic blower mode.

Provided that err2 is an over fire indication I don't have a manual for your stove in front of me at the moment.

I, too, have the 6041 but have not used any settings above 2. I got that error code and it indicates the low temp limit switch has activated. I discovered my auger wasn't running some of the time. I traced it to the switch in the loading door. I bent the arm a bit and it works fine now.

Thanks to all !!!, A lot of Good info. I'll use some of that advice , as a new pellet stove owner I'm still getting used to leaving the stove running while I'm at work. I work 12 hr shifts and I'm always glad to see My house standing when I get home.. lol !!!

emmelch1 said:
.....but the stove would shut down after about 4 hours with the err2 message on the display........

From your owners manual:

"Err2 The low limit temperature sensor has tripped.

Possible Causes:

• Hopper Empty.
• Auger output failure or jam.
• Poor flame or fuel quality caused fire to burn too slowly or go out.
• Electrical Open in low temperature switch or wiring.
• Fire was not well established before the PCB’s programmed time limit expired."

Too Burning Chunk, I think I had it on 3, I dont think I had pulled the damper out enough, 2 guys here at work have pellet stoves, ( not my model ) one says he always has his damper wide open and the other guy says he only opens his about a inch , They both are happy with there stoves, like mine one is from tractor supply and the other from Lowe's . My viewing glass gets pretty nasty after about 4-5 hours, Im guessing this is a damper issue too ?

Can you post a pic, or explain the exhaust vent set-up you have?

As for the window, that is caused by pellets, air/fuel settings, vent set-up, and particularly burning on lower heat settings.

My 6039 had the dirty glass ,lazy flame, full burn pot and when I turned it up to a heat setting of at least 4 and the damper out and inch or so the glass didn't get all the build-up on the glass and I started burning Somerset pellets and now I can burn for 4 days before having to scrap the burn pot holes clear.

I have the vent just like the picture on the pellet vent box and directions, a 3 ft,3" pipe out of the back of the stove, and thru the wall, to the cl/out tee and up close to 6ft, to the vent.

I have the vent just like the picture on the pellet vent box and directions, a 3 ft,3" pipe out of the back of the stove, and thru the wall, to the cl/out tee and up close to 6ft, to the vent.

I have the 6041 as well. It is set on Auto mode.

Make sure you have both the ash doors pushed closed. I pull the center damper out 1.5 inches. I keep a ruler handy and measure out from the ash door handle on either side of the damper slide.
I use 1.5 inches as the middle/start point for my damper slide. Adjust 1/4 of an inch (at a time) out to get more air for a faster burn. Adjust 1/4 inch (at a time) in to slow the burn.

Basically if you have the damper slider to far in, the fire smothers, if you have it to far out, you are sending good heat out the exhaust.

I want that GOOD heat to stay in My house ,Cause it's a Cold nite in the Mid- East !!!!!!, I bet people in Florida are think'n Pellet Stoves these days !! Thanks for the info .

Lucky Heatn,

Also what heat range are you running when You have the damper out 1.5", I have been running mine at 1 with the damper pulled out about 1.5", the air coming out the vent is at 100 degrees, My stove is in my attached garage, it's all insulated, the garage doors are insulated too 27x27. the room gets to 60 degrees. my goal was to get the garage really hot and bow the air into the house . Now I'm think'n My plans not going to work. Im away from the house 14 hrs a day and when I get home the fire is usually out, the pellets want to hang up on the sides, I'll probaly have it figured out by Spring!!!

emmelch1 said:
Lucky Heatn,

... the pellets want to hang up on the sides ...

Get some dry spray on graphite and spray the hopper.

Usually this will clear up on its own, but nothing wrong with helping it along.

Some folks also have used pledge, rubbing with wax paper, a metal polisher, and on the list goes.

Thanks, I'll get to the Lowe's and look for the spray on graphite. Also ran the stove at the 2 heat range all nite with the draft at 1.5", seems to have ran well , the air coming out the stove was around 150 degrees. the garage was at 67 degrees, so I'll be " TWEEK'N " up to the # 3 heat range and be happy to get around the 75 degree mark so I can blow it in the house. Or that's at least the game plan!

Ive been reading all your replys about the 6041. I have that same model but im not getting heat any where close to what you guys are getting. I have mine on the hottest setting-5 for 3 days and i cant heat my 1200 sqft basement to more that 65* I would say my basement was around 60* before the stove install. I am running it on the pr setting. My air temp at the vent is 110* Am i doing some thing wrong? Is it just going to take along time to heat up? Seems like once it hit that 64-65* mark it quit climbing. I am burning pellets not corn and am using about 2 bags a day. I need some advice on how i can get the good results im reading.Thanks guys!

I have the same stove and heat a 2700sf house basement install on setting 3 damper pulled out so the silver handle is even with the lip looking down. keeps the house abuot 67-68. i have done some messing around with it and found if you put the AUX on 7-8 it will keep a better flame as it turns it more often. also i have set the draft fan one setting higher then the temp setting and i have really good heat. i am burning about 1-1.5 bags a day on the 3 setting just a little more on 4 i use that only when it is blelow freezing. i am still tweaking the stove and so far am really impressed i will need to get more pellets soon my TSC has somersets for 187 a ton. i do clean it every week and blow out the piping every other. My venting is a little differnt than most. so i want to keep cleaning problems down to a minimum.

I'm in the tweaking mode also, My problems were because I was scared to open the bottom vent in the beginning. Glad I came across this forum , some good folks out there willing to help the clueless masses of new pellet stove owners

fastmike22 said:
Ive been reading all your replys about the 6041. I have that same model but im not getting heat any where close to what you guys are getting. I have mine on the hottest setting-5 for 3 days and i cant heat my 1200 sqft basement to more that 65* I would say my basement was around 60* before the stove install. I am running it on the pr setting. My air temp at the vent is 110* Am i doing some thing wrong? Is it just going to take along time to heat up? Seems like once it hit that 64-65* mark it quit climbing. I am burning pellets not corn and am using about 2 bags a day. I need some advice on how i can get the good results im reading.Thanks guys!

Mike, I have a couple thoughts. 1. Are you drawing combustion air from outside? If not, you are cycling your heated air through the stove and out the exhaust pipe. 2. What effect is the stove having on the house above the basement?

I did not hook up the cold air kit because they told me unless i had a new super tight house i didnt have to worry about it. Also the pellet stove is doing nothing for the upstairs, like it isnt even on. So are you saying by hooking up that cold air kit it would make a big difference? When i talked to a couple of the us stove reps they never asked if the cold air kit was hooked up so i didnt think it was that big of a deal. PLEASE tell me the cold air kit is the answer to not being able to get past the mid 60s. But my other concern is the heat coming out of the stove is pretty hot i been playing with it and got it in the 200* range. You can only hold your hand near the blower for half min or so.

fastmike22 said:
I did not hook up the cold air kit because they told me unless i had a new super tight house i didnt have to worry about it. Also the pellet stove is doing nothing for the upstairs, like it isnt even on. So are you saying by hooking up that cold air kit it would make a big difference? When i talked to a couple of the us stove reps they never asked if the cold air kit was hooked up so i didnt think it was that big of a deal. PLEASE tell me the cold air kit is the answer to not being able to get past the mid 60s. But my other concern is the heat coming out of the stove is pretty hot i been playing with it and got it in the 200* range. You can only hold your hand near the blower for half min or so.

It isn't a cold air kit, it is an outside air kit. It stops bad burns and also stops some of the inside air from being sent up the flue and cold air from entering the house via the air leaks in your house.

It will help but not correct your primary problem, it will effectively add at most a few hundred BTU/hr.

I didn't install a oak on mine when i first put it in and the house always felt drafty? So i thought i would try one so i fabbed one up and installed it and it seemed to make a difference in the drafty feel in the house at least now i'm not sending heated room air out the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.