Vacuum clean up Hint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wert

Nov 27, 2010
Hudson Valley NY
If your stove is above a basement, you can install a " Budd Vac" type system for easy clean up chores.
I ran 2" pvc from behind my stove to the basement
In the basement ,the 2" connects to my shop vac
The shop vac is powered in the basement
I put a switch behind the stove, then wired the switch to the vac.
No more shop vac in the living room.

That sounds like a great setup and very convenient.

Too bad mine is in the basement.

Any problems with static electricity? I know PVC will build up a charge when you are dealing with sawdust.

No static electricity as of yet. I'm vacuuming ash from the stove. Although my wife uses MY dedicated outlet to do the floor.
I guess that justifies that She empties the shop vac.

Hello
Nice. Setup

Any Pics?

gyingling said:
That sounds like a great setup and very convenient.

Too bad mine is in the basement.

Any problems with static electricity? I know PVC will build up a charge when you are dealing with sawdust.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to install a few grounding straps.

Perhaps a few stainless self tappers with some wire grounded to an outlet or good ground. Problem solved.

I love it.

Call me a skeptic but unless you are doing this exclusively with the stove and are only using it on a guaranteed dead cold stove, you could be asking for trouble. Most PVC is rated for 200* max, hardly enough to handle a smoldering cinker thrust into a stream of fresh air. Even if the pipe doesn't burn the melting is toxic. I have burned pin holes in my old shop vac hose from the stove, but now I use a Cheetah with a high temp hose (the old one with a hose like a fuel filler). Paper filters are also subject to burning or failing. So if you chose to go this way, make sure the stream of the air is burn proof and that you use a metal canister or empty it each time you finish.

Sounds like a good idea, and if it works for you thats great... I'll stick to my Loveless Ash vac, burn proof hose, fire resistant cloth filters, and all steel canister. I dont think I'd feel comfortable with PVC and a standard shop vac. Try 2 inch steel flex tubing, and you would be much safer.

I never intended to vac up anything but confirmed cold ash.
This morning I replaced the pvc with stainless flex. This afternoon I'll fire proof the vacuum components.
Thanks for constructive criticism. I still have no intentions of picking up hot ash.

I put my shop vac outside on the patio weekly, Sat or Sun, depending on the sun, shut my stove down, put a bag of pellets holding the patio door with the hose and power through, and vac her out in about 10 minutes. My stove door never gets so cool I can touch it with bare hands. The ash is dead after about 10 minutes, vac it out and pull burn plate and back plate, clean, and fire her up for another week. Leave the vac outside for the night, then throw out the ash into the compost pile.
I have a 16 gallon Crafstman just for this task- standard filters- because i keep it outside. It's been 7 years now... so far cost has been 20 bucks for a new filter- beacause I let the vac get rained on. Normally just beat it against a tree.
Bill W

Status
Not open for further replies.