VC Defiant CAT Transformed after switch to 8 inch flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gridlock

Feb 13, 2010
New Paltz, NY
Last year I switched from an Avalon Olympic insert to a new VC Defiant stove, and had a lot of problems with back-puffing, over-firing, and any degree of controllability. In fact I posted a few threads on this forum seeking advice (thank you for all your responses and help!). In the 'off season', after some negotiation, the chimney sweep agreed to switch the existing 6 inch flex liner for a 8 inch stainless pipe for no fee... and what a difference it has made! Despite non-ideal conditions (i.e. not very cold outside temperatures), the stove is running like a charm. I've run it around 5 times so far with varying loads and varying air input settings without a hiccup.

A local dealer (who I did NOT purchase the stove from) came over to take a look at the installation before the switch to the 8 inch flue, and mentioned that that was probably the major cause of all the problems. He mentioned that the Defiant really needs the 8 inch flue to run properly (despite the literature which mentions that it can be downsized to a 6 inch if it is not run in 'fireplace' mode), and also mentioned that in general the flue should never be smaller than the stove flue attachment (whatever that's called). The fact that I have a short horizontal segment with two 90 degree bends and a half outside chimney might have exacerbated the problem (my chimney is about 22 feet tall). I do wonder how many folks that have had similar problems were also running on a 6 inch flue.

Well, I hope my luck continues (hope I haven't spoke too soon!). Maybe I'll go knock on some firewood!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Wish I would of seen your posts last season. I run mine with a 7" liner and have full control over the stove. Still a bit of back puffing with the perfect wood/atmosphere conditions but controlled with the air intake.

I know your not looking for advise in this thread but shared experience can't hurt? Stay away from the stainless cat! They start off great but degrade way too fast. I just switched back to the ceramic and will post some info on old threads when I get to it.

Glad you have it dialed in. Enjoy the long burn times and great night sleep not having to re-load or attend to a finicky stove.

Mandoo said:
I know your not looking for advise in this thread but shared experience can't hurt? Stay away from the stainless cat! They start off great but degrade way too fast. I just switched back to the ceramic and will post some info on old threads when I get to it.
Agreed. The unit came with a stainless CAT, but I switched to the ceramic at the end of the season because it got completely clogged up. The honeycomb in the stainless CAT is much tighter than the ceramic, which may have ecaserbated the back-puffing.
Mandoo said:
Glad you have it dialed in. Enjoy the long burn times and great night sleep not having to re-load or attend to a finicky stove.
Thanks, hope it stays that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.