VC Defiant & Encore Catalytic Stoves Operations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Any documentation/threads on people installing a cat probe? Couldn't find anything through the search feature.

I searched:
Defiant Cat Probe
VC Defiant Cat Probe
Vermont Castings cat probe
Defiant Catalyst Probe
VC Defiant Catalyst Probe
Vermont Castings Catalyst probe

I put one in at the start of the season, like it a lot, pay attention to it more than flue/stove temp. Mine is the manual one (20.00). The probe led me to realize that my one yr old ss cat was "caput" after 3/4 of a season.

Diabel said:
I put one in at the start of the season, like it a lot, pay attention to it more than flue/stove temp. Mine is the manual one (20.00). The probe led me to realize that my one yr old ss cat was "caput" after 3/4 of a season.

What is the install process like?

Like the Encore, there will be a little cap at the back of the stove. Pop it, drill a little hole through the refactory gently push in the probe, you are done! 5 min. Make sure you buy a 6" probe

Diabel said:
Like the Encore, there will be a little cap at the back of the stove. Pop it, drill a little hole through the refactory gently push in the probe, you are done! 5 min. Make sure you buy a 6" probe

Ah-ha! I see the cap on the back of the stove. Never noticed it on the Encore since the back of the stove is crammed into a fireplace. Thanks.

Before you drill just match the bit to the probe tip!

VCBurner said:
I look forward to hearing some reports when you install one! All cat stoves should come equipped with one IMO.

I've been experience way too much smoke the last week. I think part of it is the wood, the other part is I am guessing how to run it. I think the Probe will give me a better understanding as to what is going on behind the firebox.

Stick a magnetic therm below that cap and if it reads anywhere around
600 you good!

Diabel said:
600 you good!

I suspected as much based on the Encore. Problem is that I have had a hard time getting a long and low burn from the stove when the cat is engaged. It's either all or nothing right now. Once the cat is glowing and the back panel is hot the stove sites at 600-700.

That is not what I am aiming for. If I can't get a low burn, a second Defiant is not in my future. But, just because I'm not getting it to happen right now, doesn't mean it won't. It is hard to sort it out without the cat probe since I don't know what is going on back there.

Patience my friend! We are working with used/worked hard stoves, potentially (we don't know)
Take it apart in the summer, put it back together the way you know you can and I am sure it will work well.
Mine is not perfect by no means! But it was free! It will be partially taken apart this summer again!
Life is a learning process!

Diabel said:
Patience my friend! We are working with used/worked hard stoves, potentially (we don't know)
Take it apart in the summer, put it back together the way you know you can and I am sure it will work well.
Mine is not perfect by no means! But it was free! It will be partially taken apart this summer again!
Life is a learning process!

I'm not complaining. I'm just being honest and sharing what I am experiencing currently with the stove at this point. The stove is functioning properly at a high temp (cat is engaging) but I need to see what the issue is at the lower temps. Also, I am getting smoke when the cat is Engaged.

I know that the fuel is in doubt right now to some degree, how much is it coming into play will probably be decided by the cat probe.

I do know the assembly, cat, and firebrick are new.
I also noted that the fireback was removed and the entire stove was properly cleaned.
The gaskets are good throughout.
No warps or cracks in the casting.
Joint cements look to be in very good shape with no noticeable patch work. Which means there was no half-assed rebuild attempted.
The ash pan hinge needs tightening, but it has a good seal all around when close.

Run it on a full ash box, plug one of the intake holes, maybe the cat is plugged
To me it looks like too much air going through the cat. I had something similar and it went away
Ash might have taken care of it

I am burning an 0028. I got lucky and found it 3 years ago never fired. I love the stove but would like to have a cat probe. Is there any way for this stove?

Diabel said:
Run it on a full ash box, plug one of the intake holes, maybe the cat is plugged
To me it looks like too much air going through the cat. I had something similar and it went away
Ash might have taken care of it

I made note of two two secondary holes in the the ash pan casting. Are you aware of any others? Good idea on the clogged cat. I will remove the throat baffle and blow in some canister air.

By "run it on a full ash box" do you mean a full load of Ash wood, or do you mean something else? If you mean a full load of ash, I am also going to try loading up on mostly smaller splits to see if the burn changes.

Oldlogdog said:
I am burning an 0028. I got lucky and found it 3 years ago never fired. I love the stove but would like to have a cat probe. Is there any way for this stove?

Yes. Diabel is running with one. Same setup as the Defiant, I believe. There should be a plug just below the back panel that accesses the Cat. I'm running a 0028 as well, but I would not have access to the cat probe due to it being located in side a small fireplace.

No ashes covering the grate!! Nice!! I love ash (species) and ashes at the bottom of the stove will be your friend!

Diabel said:
No ashes covering the grate!! Nice!! I love ash (species) and ashes at the bottom of the stove will be your friend!

Just to make sure we are clear, do you want a full bed of ash in the firebox or to run it with the ashes cleaned out? I usually run it with a full bed of ashes as we both know that leads to longer burn times with the VC stoves.

BrowningBAR said:
Diabel said:
600 you good!

I suspected as much based on the Encore. Problem is that I have had a hard time getting a long and low burn from the stove when the cat is engaged. It's either all or nothing right now. Once the cat is glowing and the back panel is hot the stove sites at 600-700.

That is not what I am aiming for. If I can't get a low burn, a second Defiant is not in my future. But, just because I'm not getting it to happen right now, doesn't mean it won't. It is hard to sort it out without the cat probe since I don't know what is going on back there.

I completely agree with you BAR, knowing how hot the cat is essential. With the probe you can determine how early you can engage the cat and still have a light off or If the cat is working at all. Could you put the digital kind of probe in your Encore and feed the wire under the stove?

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
Diabel said:
600 you good!

I completely agree with you BAR, knowing how hot the cat is essential. With the probe you can determine how early you can engage the cat and still have a light off or If the cat is working at all. Could you put the digital kind of probe in your Encore and feed the wire under the stove?

I could. But I like to keep things as simple and clean looking as possible. I already have three stoves, and have bought five stoves over the last four years, with a huge pile on the side of the driveway. Let's not kill the wife with with wires and a digital read-out in the kitchen just yet.

If the cat probe works well for the Defiant, I will look for a cat probe solution for the Encore.

I blew out the cat with compressed air. I did not remove the cat, but I did notice that the cat is still in very good shape. No noticeable wear or warping can bee seen. There was no fire last night. I might do one tonight, but it will be a small fire.

I have note altered the secondary air yet. I don't think I will do that until I get the Cat Probe installed.

Browning, i used a digital condar on my intrepid 1303 before i got the t5.. had a removable plug on rear of stove.. probe entered chamber right at cat on exit side. it was very usefull for monitoring temps after i engaged cat. it read from 500 to 2000 deg and usually stayed around 900 during short burn time that stove had.. if i can locate it your welcome to it...

jetmech said:
Browning, i used a digital condar on my intrepid 1303 before i got the t5.. had a removable plug on rear of stove.. probe entered chamber right at cat on exit side. it was very usefull for monitoring temps after i engaged cat. it read from 500 to 2000 deg and usually stayed around 900 during short burn time that stove had.. if i can locate it your welcome to it...

Right now I am going to go cheap and simple on the Defiant. I might go digital on the Encore out of necessity. But, I burn the Encore at a consistently high temp (600 degrees) due to it's location. I'm know the cat is engaging properly on that stove.

I'm also thinking of doing a vertical block off plate behind the stove that cuts off air flow to most of the fireplace. I'm interested in seeing what type of difference that will make for the Encore's heating capacity. If less heat is trapped in the fireplace, that will mean I can run the stove at a lower temp, which will increase my burn times and decrease wood consumption.

BrowningBAR said:
I could. But I like to keep things as simple and clean looking as possible. I already have three stoves, and have bought five stoves over the last four years, with a huge pile on the side of the driveway. Let's not kill the wife with with wires and a digital read-out in the kitchen just yet.

If the cat probe works well for the Defiant, I will look for a cat probe solution for the Encore.
I hear you Browning, I hope your Defiant troubles come to an end. Sounds like the cat is either being bypassed (by a leak) or the cat is not working as well as it should be. Looks can be deceiving, but you know this already. Even if the cat looks good it may be spent. Unless you saw it come out of the box, how can you be positive it is new? Then again, your culprit could be the wood, tough I doubt it. I have burned some questionable wood in a cat and didn't get as much smoke as you're reporting.

Good luck brother, the cat probe should be a great guide regardless of your wood.

Chris

I usually keep about 2 inches of ashes on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.