VC Encore NC, 6" or 8"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newhouse

Jan 21, 2009
Ontario, Can.
First time on the forum. I have just pirchased a VC Encore and am struggling with what size of chimney to go with. It say's I can go with a 6 " or 8". I have ben reading a lot of Q and A and am leaning towards and 8". Prior to reading off this site I was going to go with a 6". Any advice on this issue would be greately appreciated. Thanks

newhouse said:
First time on the forum. I have just pirchased a VC Encore and am struggling with what size of chimney to go with. It say's I can go with a 6 " or 8". I have ben reading a lot of Q and A and am leaning towards and 8". Prior to reading off this site I was going to go with a 6". Any advice on this issue would be greately appreciated. Thanks

Welcome!

How tall will the chimney be?

Welcome to Hearth.com!

The Vermont Castings spec minimum is 6" and the stove can never be operated with the doors open, such as when you are lighting it, or with the fire screen on. The 8" provides an excellent draft. I fully agree and have equipped mine with the same from the beginning.

Read and follow everything provided by Vermont Castings and other sources about your stove.

Congratulations and enjoy your fine stove.

Well, if it were me, & the 6" will work just fine, that's what I'd go with...
Biggest factor is the cost. 8" Class A Chimney is WAY more than 6"..
Not to mention that if you continue to burn wood in the future, most newer stoves have 6"
flue collars & although 6-8 adapters are out there, getting the stove to fire &
draft without back-puffing, when increasing the diameter, can sometimes be problematic...
Ultimately, it's your choice, thio, & good luck with your project...

From the Encore NC 1450 owners manual:

"NOTE: When installed with a 6” flue collar,
the Encore may not be operated with the
front doors open."

I think my chimney will be 16' minimum. I don't want to go with the 8", first because of the cost difference and also because I think the 8" will look too bulky withe the stove, I definatley don't want tohe pipe to over power the stove. Having said all that I think I will have to go with the 8", it seems from people who have done it that is the way to go. Thanks

I read the manual's statement as you can actually run the stove with the doors open using a spark screen if you have an 8" flue. That would be a nice option on those warmer nights when it would be nice to hear the fire crackle. A couple of other brands have the open door option.

6" stove pipe is standard on everything but the largest stoves. A 6" double wall connector pipe looks bulky. I can't imagine how gawdy an 8" double wall pipe would look hooked onto the VC.

The 8" pipe is available and still common enough that you can buy it. Though it is more expensive and moght be wasted if you ever uninstall the VC (I will refrain from too many comments on how common it is to change FROM the VC).

Tough call. How important is open door fire viewing to you? That VC is a very attractive stove to look at, wouldn't want to be distracted.

Highbeam said:
(I will refrain from too many comments on how common it is to change FROM the VC).

Very subtle :)

Thanks for all the replies. I was a little leary about the VC but I have read good and bad, some users actually love their Encore and others wouldn't put another one in. I find it hard to believe that the same stove can have such different comments from owners, how is that possible?

Use the 6 inch as you are very unlikely to ever burn with the front doors open. The stove is to heat your house and it will burn most efficiently with the doors closed and burn engaged.
I am amongst the folks who are very displeased with VC. Now having said that, I will also say I burned a VC Encore CAT stove for many years with a 8x12 clay flue and had no problems.
You may decide to change stoves, just because you want to, at some point. The prior item about most newer stoves having a 6 inch outlet is correct and that is what will serve you in good stead.

I prefer to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and specs. They clearly call for 8" pipe with this model.

I've been burning with the 6" pipe. My only problem with it has been a possible overdraft issue. I'm not an expert, but I do wonder if having an 8" pipe would only make this worse to be honest. My (and my installer's) read of the manual is/was that the "operating with doors open" statement references actually leaving the doors open with a fire for viewing and running, not for loading. Thus, we did not read it as "don't open the doors with a fire in there if you have a 6 inch pipe". Now that I have learned how to properly operate the stove, I have no problems with smoke in the house - I now know how to build a fire that starts up well without having to keep opening the doors to fan the flames etc (I use a modified top-down approach), and I make sure I open the bypass damper a few seconds prior to opening the doors etc...

I am sure every install is unique and your mileage may vary - Perhaps there are places (high altitude?) where even without the desire to use the stove like a fireplace one would need the 8" pipe. I don't think my install is one of them and perhaps OP's may be another. I reviewed my planned usage and figured I would never want to go into 'negative efficiency mode' of the open fireplace so chose to go 6" and am not sorry for the cost savings (of course I'm not even fully through my first season so what sort of expert does that make me? Ha!).

Back to making my own mistakes now... :)

I am running with 6" set up & it works fine. If your pipe is more than 25' then I would consider 8".

Slow1 said:
I've been burning with the 6" pipe. My only problem with it has been a possible overdraft issue. I'm not an expert, but I do wonder if having an 8" pipe would only make this worse to be honest. My (and my installer's) read of the manual is/was that the "operating with doors open" statement references actually leaving the doors open with a fire for viewing and running, not for loading. Thus, we did not read it as "don't open the doors with a fire in there if you have a 6 inch pipe". Now that I have learned how to properly operate the stove, I have no problems with smoke in the house - I now know how to build a fire that starts up well without having to keep opening the doors to fan the flames etc (I use a modified top-down approach), and I make sure I open the bypass damper a few seconds prior to opening the doors etc...

I am sure every install is unique and your mileage may vary - Perhaps there are places (high altitude?) where even without the desire to use the stove like a fireplace one would need the 8" pipe. I don't think my install is one of them and perhaps OP's may be another. I reviewed my planned usage and figured I would never want to go into 'negative efficiency mode' of the open fireplace so chose to go 6" and am not sorry for the cost savings (of course I'm not even fully through my first season so what sort of expert does that make me? Ha!).

Back to making my own mistakes now... :)

Slow1,

You raised some very objective points. Clearly there may be some trade-offs on both sizes, also including cost. I wonder about the increase of natural draft in a 6" pipe causing some owners to exhibit the higher burn rates. The smaller size may cause more of a venturi effect, therefore the increased velocity that some owners describe.

See the link:

http://en.wiki.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

It would be interesting if it was the 6" pipe was a leading cause in the Afterburning some folks have reported.

schortie said:
It would be interesting if it was the 6" pipe was a leading cause in the Afterburning some folks have reported.

My thinking exactly!

Yes, my control Encore NC installation here is with the 8" pipe, and it has never had the high rate of burn described by some owners. Our altitude is about 950 ft above sea level. The total stack is about 21 feet straight up.

There are too many variables to make a quick assumption. However, I stand behind the manufacturer's recommendation of 8" pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.