VC Montpelier refractory panel replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Htubes

Jan 19, 2019
Massachusettes
I have a VC Montpelier and the right "brick" wall has cracked. I have tried several refractory cements to repair it but none seem to last. I am now considering the piece completely but am unsure how to access it? I see nothing holding in place in the way of clamps and as it is currently firing I can't play too much.

Before I order the part I would like to have an idea of what I am getting into. Are they replaceable from within the firebox or will this necessitate the inserts removal from the fireplace?

Thanks,

H

I'm bored so I looked:
https://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/68/details/9720/Montpelier-Insert/25298.html. I believe it is the number 7 part.

Another place:
"
Manufactured fireplaces often have refractory panels (concrete like) panels that are installed inside the firebox of the fireplace. Refractory panels will limit the heat transfer into the metal sides of the firebox. Large cracks (generally those over ¼”) can cause excessive heat to transfer to the metal shell of the fireplace. This can eventually cause the metal to deteriorate and those cracks in excess of ¼” should be repaired.

Hairline cracks can appear due to the heating up of the panel causing it to expand and when the refractory panel cools, it contracts and eventually will crack. Cracks can also be caused by excessive heat from an improper burn in the firebox i.e. large volumes of paper or using flammable liquid to light fires.

Panels are also cracked when moving adding or moving large logs in the fireplace. Care should be taken to assure that the logs are not thrown against the panels. Thermal shock from through water on the fire can also cause refractory panels to crack. Proper curing of replacement panels is critical to assure that the panel will last a long time.

One can analyze a crack to determine the seriousness by checking the fireplace manual for guidelines regarding nature of the cracks. Using a dime or something of similar thickness, if it can be inserted into the crack consideration should be given to replacing the brick panel. If the brick panel has wide or multiple cracks, it would be wise to replace the brick panel with new panels that are easy to install.

Some cracks can be repaired with castable refractory cement which is easily applied to the crack. That however may not give you the desired appearance. Manufactured replacement panels, available in either vermiculite or brick are the best choice. Vermiculite panels are very easy to cut whereas the refractory type panels require a saw with a masonry blade.".

And:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/replacing-brick-in-vc-montpelier-insert.142838/

Reactions: Htubes
Last edited by a moderator:
I know the front bottom brick slides out easy enough. That will have to come out as it sits in a groove on the side refractory panels. Looking at it, I think the airwash baffle might have to come out too (it's easy, just two bolts holding it on, each one in the side section that bends forward toward the glass about 3/4 from center).

From there I'm not sure what's holding it in. I'm guessing it slides into a channel in the cast iron. I have had the airwash and front brick out and know that the sides do not fallif you do this, so something has to be holding them in place.

Reactions: Htubes and begreen
I know the front bottom brick slides out easy enough. That will have to come out as it sits in a groove on the side refractory panels. Looking at it, I think the airwash baffle might have to come out too (it's easy, just two bolts holding it on, each one in the side section that bends forward toward the glass about 3/4 from center).

From there I'm not sure what's holding it in. I'm guessing it slides into a channel in the cast iron. I have had the airwash and front brick out and know that the sides do not fallif you do this, so something has to be holding them in place.
Thanks! That gives me a direction to work from. Makes it seem doable. I will order yhe

Those firebrick panels should come with a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner.

Those firebrick panels should come with a lifetime warranty if you are the original owner.
I am the original owner. I've had the insert for 8 years. I justl looked through my original paperwork and the VC website and am not finding anything about a warranty. I'll call my dealer tomorrow. Thanks,

H

P.S. Just found the warranty info online at VC. It seems on the refractory panels the limited lifetime warranty is limited to 2 years.

https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/30004403 Montpelier_17.pdf

Last edited:
I am the original owner. I've had the insert for 8 years. I justl looked through my original paperwork and the VC website and am not finding anything about a warranty. I'll call my dealer tomorrow. Thanks,

H

P.S. Just found the warranty info online at VC. It seems on the refractory panels the limited lifetime warranty is limited to 2 years.

hey
They have numerous revisions on their manuals and warranties. The manual that came with your stove will tell you that the panels have a lifetime warranty. What you downloaded is the current warranty which is 2 years

Reactions: Htubes
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this but I just heard back from my dealer. Yes the panels are being covered under warranty including installation. I had to provide them with pictures which they apparently forwarded to VC for their determination.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: begreen
That's great. Did they ask if you for the serial number and if you were the original owner?

My interaction was with the dealer I purchased it from. I provided them with a copy of the original bill of sale. I was not asked about a serial number.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this but I just heard back from my dealer. Yes the panels are being covered under warranty including installation. I had to provide them with pictures which they apparently forwarded to VC for their determination.

Thanks everyone.

Glad to hear that. I've been planning on buy one of those for next year.

Just to finish up here my panels were installed last week. To my surprise all ceramic pieces were replaced. It took them about an hour and was done without any major disassembly. They started with the outer bottom and worked their way in. An unexpected benefit is that it now seems to burn cleaner than it had been. I was blaming the need for frequent glass cleaning on the wood but I guess not. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: begreen
It is very good to hear a positive warranty story about vc. Maybe thing are really getting better. I hope so.