VC Resolute (III?) Damper plate malfunction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just picked up a Resolute on Craigslist a few weeks ago. The stove has been burning great. I have recently discovered one issue with it though. First, the nomenclature, what is that plate-thing called that gets flipped from a straight run to the connector to horizontal burn? I am going to call it the damper plate. This plate is hinged at the front, there are two ears that are separate from the fireback. These ears have a little bit of play in them, and this is just enough to allow the damper plate to fall out of it's correct place. I reset it the other day, and got maybe 30 "flips" (from horizontal to vertical) before it fell out again tonight. I fear that there may be just enough warpage in the fireback, or another critical component to allow those ears to have play. I hope that someone has encountered this problem before, and at least knows what I am talking about, if they don't have a $3.50 fix. The left ear pops out of its assigned channel in the throat of the fireback. Thanks in advance, I am a "long time listener, first time caller" on this hearth.com radio hour.

So the fix for this is to replace the fireback, which has warped at this point sufficiently to no longer hold the "ears" in place. The rep[lacement fireback kit part # 5864 is in two different pieces, so this won't happen again. It comes w/instructions, and will be pretty straightforward as long as screws and bolts don't break, then it's a freekin nuisance. What part of the world does yer stove live in?

hello, i have a similar issue on a resolute II. The damper does not seat at its top right, leaving a small gap. This stove runs great but uses fuel a bit fast.Do you know if there is any way to adjust or reset the damper? I am heating an open plan 2700 sf home with it here in the forest of putnam county new york. Thanks in advance for any advice Defiant3!

Sadly stim, you too must replace your old 1 piece fireback. There's no adjustment or fix for it, the fireback which supports the damper has warped. Not that one could see the warping necessarily, but there it is. If you're handy and don't mind drilling a few holes, the conversion isn't too terrible.

By the way, I don't know where Putnam cty. is, but if it gets cold there, that Res. is gonna have its hands full trying to heat 2700 sq.!

thanks so much for your reply defiant3, do you know a good source for a new fireback? My house gets great passive solar from south windows, has icynene insulation and is very open. So far this heating season, with low twentys at night and mid forties day temps, this stove keeps the home a bit too hot. the two bedrooms are cooler than the main space although not too much. Western Putnam county is across the hudson river from and a bit north of west point. We are on a ridge about 1200' up with lots or red oak and maple. Thanks again!

Thank for the reply. I took liberties with a drill bit and drilled two 1/16th inch holes in the corners of the throat of the fireback. I then tied the two pins on the damper plate to the front of the fireback with wire. This keeps the plate from sliding back, and then allowing it to fall out of place. I will probably look into a new fireback for next year, and address it this coming summer. I am curious to see if the holes will cause cracking in the fireback. The wire is for welding, so I figured it would handle the temperatures. I am also curious to see if the wire gets brittle over time. The stove lives in central Vermont. If it was a nicer stove I would have held out on the beligerent drilling of holes, but I figured if I messed it up too bad, the next one is on Craigslist somewhere. I'll let you know if the thing explodes.

Thanks so much d3, also thank you too stoneduster for starting this thread. My stove is still getting a pretty good sideways draft when I close the damper so I will wait until spring too do the fireback. I am eager for colder weather to see if this stove will keep up with my heating requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.