VC Resolute Two-Position Damper Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joyca

Oct 9, 2008
Pepperell
Hello all,

I have an issue with the two position damper on my 1979 Resolute. While switching to horizontal combustion last night after topping off the stove the damper became dislodged from it's pivot arm or track. It is now stuck in updraft combustion. It looks like this could not have happened at a worse time...it is going to be very cold in New England for the next few days.

Before I start taking the stove apart I wanted some input on the mechanism that controls the damper. There are two bolts that hold the back piece to the stove, where the damper closes for horizontal combustion. Are these bolts going to be very difficult to remove? Should I spray some PB Blaster on them first?

From my initial look at the mechanism, it seems as if it should be an easy fix. Just hope somebody can give me some help before I dive in and break something.

Thanks,
Chris

There were several different designs built, but it sounds like you may have a one with a two piece back. If so, the two bolts you speak of would have acorn nuts on the back of the stove. If this is what you have, you should be able to remove the acorn nuts, thus releasing the upper fire back that supports the damper. The pivot parts of the damper should be held in place by a couple of ovalish shaped washer type of parts that are attached to the upper fire back by a couple of hex head screws. If this is the design you have, you maybe able to remove the screws that hold the oval shaped washers in place without removing the upper fire back. Here is an exploded view, do you have a two piece back? Can you take a couple of pictures?

http://www.discountstove.com/0043.html

I believe that the stove is a 1979 Model. That is the year cast into the lower fireback. I am not at home to verify the model number from the back of the stove.

I also have the single swing down door without glass if that helps.

They all say 1979 on them, that is the year they were first built. Check it out when you can, I am pretty familiar with those stove, so I should be able to help if you can tell me exactly what model you have. I'm rebuilding one right now.

I have the wife taking the heat shield off of the stove to retrieve the model #. Should have the info soon. Thanks for your help.

to fix that stove damper you only need to take off the flue collar and/or the small access plate that is with the flue collar. DO NOT start taking the fireback apart or you will be without your stove for weeks. The linkage is just popped out of place, sometimes if you move it left or rt as it is wiggled the linkage will pop back. I may be wrong, but I have rebuilt over 150 old resolutes

The best info the wife could come up with was a Serial # 019929.

We have an Intrepid downstairs that has a plate with lots of other info on it.

I'm not home, so I can't give you much more than that.

I would be very relieved if all I had to do was adjust the damper linkage through the flue collar.

I guess I'll give the stove a nice cleaning while I'm in there.

I may have the adjustable linkage that could have become loose.

Humpiniron hit it on the head, we re-built one two weeks ago that was doing the same thing. Just be carefull when taking the flue collat off, cuz they dont make it anymore.

thanks to humpin iron...it was a simple fix by removing stovepipe and flue collar. the linkage was fine. the bottom tongues had come out of the holders on each side. it was a bit difficult to get it seated correctly but it was only about an hour long job. back up and running for the 0 degree temps around here. and it was a great opportunity to clean out the stove thoroughly while i was in there.

Thanks,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.