VC Vigilant - Damper flops open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
My newly installed VC Vigilant shop stove has a slightly warped fireback, just enough for the damper to occasionally flop open (usually when the kids jump around or whatever.) Here is my solution.

Attachments

• 2011-12-24_08-55-01_810.jpg
    2011-12-24_08-55-01_810.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,239
Reactions: G-dine
Interesting solution. I vaguely remember some sort of adjustment on the linkage on our Resolute. Can the bypass cam be adjusted to compensate or is it starting to show some wear or not an option on the Vigilant?

Vig is gravity only, no adjustment. The fix is to replace the fireback, as the damper rides on it and as it heats up ,warped as it is, it pinches the damper and forces it open.

Nice rig you got goin' ther though, might get ya' through the winter?

Thanks for the info defiant. I thought that was the case.

The stove isn't worth much more than the rig. I don't see myself replacing the fireback anytime soon as the stove was a freebie I got from a job this summer. Who knows. Maybe that will change. The stove is grown on me!

This thing puts out an insane amount of heat when it gets going!

Ah, another Vigilant convert.....

Like the rigging on the damper- perhaps you should submit the design to VC? :)

what was the big difference between the Vigilant and the Defiant (I, II, etc)? Smaller firebox, and it can be outfit to burn Coal?

The only thing better than Vig is a free Vig. Should be great for the shop.

My defiant was that way until I took it apart and cleaned the area around the baffle landing. May help you too.

Seems a little creativity with an angle grinder to take away the interfering metal might be a good temp fix that would also allow a better fit around the damper.

So, you love that heat from that little monster, eh? I already miss mine, but I'm finding that making the transition to pellets ain't so hard. With all that we have to do here after the big move, the idea of going to the basement once a day to grab a bag is very freeing to my time. Does the job very nicely as well, but I'm sure I'll miss standing by the Vig to bake after working outside later in the week when we are expected to get our first winter weather.

I have a Vigilant with a two piece fireback and long doors with glass. I'm looking for a second Vigilant for my garage and found one local with the one piece fireback. Assuming the fireback is warped, I was thinking along the lines of what Battenkiller suggested, and little creative work with an angle grinder to ensure proper damper operation. Anyone ever done this, or have thoughts before I go look at the stove. Also, did the short door models require the ash fillet. My long door model didn't come with it and the doors were turning red until I put some firebrick where the fillet was supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.