veneer stone over brick, HELP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martinmanhd28

Oct 13, 2010
ohio
I need to know if i can just put a scratch coat of mortar over brick and then apply stone or do i need to put up concrete board with mesh ?
Im going to put veneer stone over my fireplace and around both side of mantels, it's about 160 square feet . Im sure someone has tackeled this before and i can sure use some help..

I would use the metal mesh ( lath ) + scratch coat + stone veneer. If the the brick is sealed / coated with a sealer you will not get any adhesion/bonding between the two.
Check with the manufacturer of the veneer if they recommend this type of application.

I have not done this myself but seen a house get veneer stone applied over old brick exterior.

Mechanically fasten the metal lathe to the brick - scratch coat - stone.

Note: Mechanically fasten is fancy talk for screw.

I've not done exactly what you're talking about but....

If the brick is clean, rough, and un-coated by sealant or paint I'd consider treating the surface with a bonding agent before applying the mortar directly to the brick before applying the stone. I'd also add the bonding agent to the mortar. You could also add a brick tie every once in a while to further attach the rock. I've used a similar process several times when applying new masonry to old without problem.

An example bonding agent: http://www.amazon.com/Quikrete-990201-Concrete-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B000FCCZJC

I just finshed up 2000 sq ft on my house
the brick if it is clean and structurally sound is an excellent surface
mix your mortar and apply the stone per directions
as mentioned above an adhesion agent wouldn't hurt
you can apply stone over poured walls or block directly
the scratch coat would be added work and expense
I found adding a little lime helps the mortar be "stickier"
grout with the same mixture as mortar unless you want colored grout

what if the brick is painted

Clarkbar2311 said:
what if the brick is painted

then you really should mesh it. Its a PITA, but you should.

Seems like the OP disappeared....

It occurred to me today that if the brick was painted or unsuitable for mortar application that maybe he could apply concrete backer board to the brick using Tapcons and then apply the rock to that.

Interesting that this thread is here...I am contemplating covering my cinder block chimney for more eye appeal. So mortar with adhesion agent and I'm good to go?

if it is bare block, yes
if it is painted, you will have to scratch coat

Hose down your chimney good before you do it so the dry block does not suck the moisture out of the mortar which will weaken it.

Status
Not open for further replies.