Vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparke

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2006
Maine
What type of vent does a non-pressurized tank need. What is the best way to install it? I am hoping to have a good seal between the lid and the tank... Atmospheric vent?

sparke said:
What type of vent does a non-pressurized tank need. What is the best way to install it? I am hoping to have a good seal between the lid and the tank... Atmospheric vent?

I left no space at all above the water line - my EPDM floats on the water surface, which is maybe 1/2" below the top of the tank. I did connect a pipe that runs out to the boiler room and into a 'sight glass' so that I can see the water level. Hasn't changed in two years. I'll probably open the tank this year just to see what it looks like.

One way I've seen is a rubber ball placed on top of an open, vertical pipe. Presumably this allows air to escape, but not be drawn in. You could rig some expansion bladder like an old inner tube up to the vent pipe to keep oxygen out, I would think. Or just leave the vent open.

Status
Not open for further replies.