venting clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff5347

Dec 13, 2011
Central MA
I have a quick question for you all. I have read my manual thoroughly and was wondering something. I am looking to move it upstairs on the first floor as it doesnt get the air upstairs the way i want (or as warm as i want). What im wondering is where im gonna put it, as its the only place to, is beside a wall and near a window. There needs to be 2 inches of sidewall clearance. I have that easy on both sides. I will vent thru the wall and the window the stove will be near will have the vent exit the house 14 inches to the right of the window and 13 inches below, looking at it from outside. The manual states the termination needs to be no less than 48 iches below or 48 inches horizontally from doors or opening windows. Then i was doing some calcs on how to get the termination to do this and i can either one of threee things
1. Vent the pipe to the top of the roof line. -- most effective but most expensive
2. I had read on stove sites (but not in my manual) that if you have a outside air intake such as an oak the clearances can be deminished. SO if i was to get a wall thimble that had the built in OAK, is this true.. can clearances be deminished? I had read the 48 inches drops to 12 inches. This would be the easiest and somewhat cheapest.
3. The other is a hahah ( or is it) permantly seal the window. What does this entail as i can find nothing on what a permantly sealed window" entails.

What stove do you have? Harmans can be reduced to 18". But you have less than that.

Going up is a good option. Vertical is always your friend in a power failure.

As far as a permanently sealed window. A screw can take care of that (thats what I have read here).

Are you reading the owners manual or the technical manual, for the technical manual should have the window clearance information for installation.
My Hampton has 48" beside or below any door or window reduced to 18" with an OAK.
12" above any door or window is reduced to 9" with an OAK.

I have researched many more pellet stoves and inserts, and the clearances have been matching those of my Hampton.

I would recommend speaking with the local code authorities, but I would suspect that they would want to see the manual to match the manufacturers recommendations anyways.

1D

I have a heatilator ps50. I cant see anything that states reduction when a OAK is used but i have seen many stoves and stove store sites stating you can reduce. I know, go by the manual. I was reading the owners manual and it states operation and installation. I will look and see if there is anything i may overlooked.
I dont know if the building insp would like the screw idea, i like it hahaah but im sure i would get looked at funny. I really wanna do it up stairs but it seems like a ton more work than i expected.

jeff5347 said:
I have a heatilator ps50. I cant see anything that states reduction when a OAK is used but i have seen many stoves and stove store sites stating you can reduce. I know, go by the manual. I was reading the owners manual and it states operation and installation. I will look and see if there is anything i may overlooked.
I dont know if the building insp would like the screw idea, i like it hahaah but im sure i would get looked at funny. I really wanna do it up stairs but it seems like a ton more work than i expected.

Quadrafire and Heatilator (both HHT/ same stoves) make no mention of reduction. 4 ft is 4 ft. Harman (also made by HHT) is 18" when using an OAK, 4 ft without one.

jeff5347 said:

Wow, I was looking at this stove for my basement, but didn't notice that there were no reduced distances for an OAK, so this won't work for my install either.
I just had my insert inspected this evening, and the inspector did indeed ask for the install manual. He also checked that all the distances were as the manual specified, so if the reduced window clearances aren't specified in the manual I know it won't pass my local inspection.

I do think that your stove is made by someone else, and re-badged, so if you do more research maybe you can find the original manufacturer, and check to see if their install manual has the reduced clearances for OAK, but then you may need to convince the local authorities that it is that stove.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

1D

This vent kit may be the answer that you are looking for, for it describes it as "PelletVent Pro CAS is considered a direct vent for pellet appliances, which allows for clearances down to 12" to building openings, as defined by NFPA 211."

But I would definitely talk to the code authority first.
I know I will meet with my code authority with the stove paperwork, and the PelletVent Pro CAS paperwork to get the install pre-approved before I purchase anything.

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=23

I hope this helps.
1D

1Dtml said:
This vent kit may be the answer that you are looking for, for it describes it as "PelletVent Pro CAS is considered a direct vent for pellet appliances, which allows for clearances down to 12" to building openings, as defined by NFPA 211."

I know I will meet with my code authority with the stove paperwork, and the PelletVent Pro CAS paperwork to get the install pre-approved before I purchase anything.

I hope this helps.
1D

That 12" isnt the Window clearance. Its the clearance from the end of the vent to Combustibles.

His only way is "Up" through the ceiling or out and up 1' over a window.

(Or permanently seal the window?) If you can stand to do so. Even then, the inspector will check that.

Quads and Heatilator do not drop distance of CTC's with OAK.

DexterDay said:
1Dtml said:

I hope this helps.
1D

That 12" isnt the Window clearance. Its the clearance from the end of the vent to Combustibles.

(Or permanently seal the window?) If you can stand to do so. Even then, the inspector will check that.

Thank you for the correction, so I guess it's back to looking a Harmans and Enviros again.

:cheese: But I was hoping to save some $$ in the basement. :shut:

1D

1Dtml said:
DexterDay said:
1Dtml said:

I hope this helps.
1D

Thank you for the correction, so I guess it's back to looking a Harmans and Enviros again.

:cheese: But I was hoping to save some $$ in the basement. :shut:

1D

There should be a reduction for all Manufacturers. By using an OAK, you eliminate the draft air coming in through the windows and doors.

Other Manufacturers need to get with the program. Harman, Enviro, and Eco-tec all have gotten with it. I think Eco-tek has the largest reduction. I believe a member posted something like 9" when using an OAK!!! That would help a lot of people out when looking for the optimum spot for a stove. As some people put them in less than ideal spots, because of this very reason. (Clearance's).

Status
Not open for further replies.