venting insert through ductwork to move heat around house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, most insert manufacturers explicitly warn not to do this.

I'm guessing you are talking about an insert for a masonry fireplace. That would have to vent out through the masonry chimney.

I have ZC fireplace and I ran the SS class A chimney through a vented interior chase which helps heat the upstairs.

Check your local codes, it may not be legal unless the stove was designed specifically to be connected to duct work.

-SF

I have a wood furnace that includes a blower on the back that forces air through the unit and out the top.

It's designed for connectivity to a homes existing duct work.

In order to ensure you are covered from the insurance perspective you need to ensure you talk to them; they will likely either want to inspect it themselves, or perhaps ask for a county permit and inspection. Then you might need a mechanical engineer to design it, which is absolute excrement.... but I digress.

I would be reluctant to use something like a stove or insert in a manner either not explicitly stated or explicitly prohibited. There might be other options, such as installing fans and baffles to draw the warm air from near the device and pushing it elsewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.