venting thei intake air to from the basement to the stove which is an insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deed

Dec 22, 2007
Central Me
I'm trying to cut down the draft from stove that pull too much air from the home to burn the pellets. Thinking about venting it through the trap in the floor of the heart as to the basement, I have an insert. Basement is unfinished temperature in the basement is around 50 degrees. I keep no chemicals there. Why shouldn't Ido this?

I sure hope you're talking about pulling intake air from the basement, and not venting your exhaust there. If it's the intake, sure, no problem. If the exhaust, you must have a death wish.

I was thinking of doing the same. I would think that you need to seal off the trap around the air intake pipe
to make sure you're not sucking the basment air through the convection blower in addition to the combustion intake.

I have an OAK to my Furnace in the basement that goes right into the furnace blower. Could I tap into that or am I asking for issues if both the Stove and Furnace kick in and are trying to share the input. It's a 3" feed from outside.

CZARCAR said:
Deed said:
I'm trying to cut down the draft from stove that pull too much air from the home to burn the pellets. Thinking about venting it through the trap in the floor of the heart as to the basement, I have an insert. Basement is unfinished temperature in the basement is around 50 degrees. I keep no chemicals there. Why shouldn't Ido this?
may be that the air the stove sucks from cellar will be replaced with outdoor air & freeze pipes?
Like he says, you will defintly be drawing in some serious cold air into the basement. if you use it for anything, like if you have your washer and dryer down there, its going to be a might bit uncomfortable.

Deed said:

Just my 2cents, but, Do it! You shouldn't have any problem. I bought a piece of flex pipe at Home depot and ran it from the intake of the stove into the clean out door in the fireplace. Then I set a couple pieces of aluminum flashing around the flex pipe to cover up the rest of the clean out hole. I leave the basement cleanout door open(my wiring for the thermostat and 120v power for the stove goes down the cleanout door) That way I am pretty much getting only cellar air for the air intake. If you look at the junk windows or bulkhead in your basement, you'll see their not air tight. My cellar stays about the same temperature all winter, 50-55 degrees.
If the temperature in your basement stays constant, after you start using the cellar air for your intake, than even if you suck in extra outside air , as long as the temperature stays constant, it's not making your house colder.
You can alyways take it off and it'll only cost you about $5.

I wouldn't do it. Why? Because Mike from England Stove Works
told me this:

"it should be noted that an oak is meant to be vented outdoors ,
and pulling from a basement may actually REDUCE efficiency due to the basement
being below the zero pressure line in the house. if you cannot get the oak outside
of the house completely i wouldnt do it".

I wound up going down through the ash trap and out the basement wall to the outdoors
with 2" flex pipe I got at autozone, then increased to 3" aluminum dryer vent.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25479/

There's also the possibility of pulling radon into your basement and home if that is a concern in your area.

Deed said:

i would like to do this, you could go into the basement then out side

Deffy said:
Why shouldn’t Ido this?

cus it's gonna get real ugly when the mice get chopped up in the combustion blower.

lol put a piece of mesh on the end of the pipe

j00fek said:
i would like to do this, you could go into the basement then out side

Whatcha waiting for j00fek? [url"https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25479/']October thread[/url]

timalabim said:
I have outside air to my Furnace in the basement that goes right into the furnace blower. Could I tap into that or am I asking for issues if both the Stove and Furnace kick in and are trying to share the input? It's a 3" feed from outside.

??

Status
Not open for further replies.