Venting Thru Closet/Void

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnhiker70

Jan 5, 2011
RI
I'd really like to get a pellet stove. We have an existing brick firebox in our living rm. It is NOT connected to a chimney. And it is not on an exterior wall. It DOES however, have a void/closet space behind it, which extends to the exterior wall (about 8' I'd say).
The house is a 1940s cape, with 2x4 walls, and 2x6 rafters. We are insulating the attic, and finishing off the rest of it. The flr plan downstairs is not very open. The kitchen/dining rooms have a 7' opening between them. But there is a center hall between the kitchen/dining rm side of the house and the living room side. There is also a back bedroom rm, which has the closet/void inside it.
We are very cold. Our heating system has crazy piping, running all around. it's oil, forced hot water radiators. Someone left 2 old steam radiators connected to the system, and they are hogging a lot of water. We plan to disconnect one of them, but we have to relocate our washer/dryer in order to do it. :(
What can I install in my living room for a 2nd heat source? I don't want exposed vent pipes inside my living rm. And we can't go thru the roof either b/c there is a finished room above. There is also an outdoor oil storage tank (Roth tank/metal housing w/roof) in the general area below where i'd want to direct vent.

Another option might be to install something in our kitchen - there is an old chimney there which needs repair. Aesthetically, this is unappealing though. i'd like a fireplace in my living rm.
i looked at a harman accentra insert yesterday and liked it. also considering an enviro M55.
might have to settle for an electric insert though, it seems... :( and what about gas?
any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Ok, so maybe a wood burning insert, a triple wall insulated pipe all the way up through your structure. I believe triple is rated to near zero clearance or small distance to exposed wood. If your going pellets I would imagine it may be a smaller chimney but still the similar safety margin....

I called a dealer. He said we can't put a pellet insert into the fireplace. The only thing i could do is a gas insert. But we don't have gas and I really don't want a gas tank in my yard. We already have an oil tank in the yard. :(
And there isn't another spot on an exterior wall to place the pellet stove (too many windows/doors).
When we add on to the house i will design a new rm to have a wood or pellet fireplace. :( bummed...

I suspect the issue is that this is an *unvented* fireplace. Is that correct? If so, how about a freestanding stove located where it can be vented outdoors? Can you post some shots of the desired location(s) from the inside and outside of the area?

fireplace has no chimney n its on an interior wall. (see pic - its a cute mantle/surround though).
love your quotes. i'm intelligent n full of doubt. :)
there is no place to vent a pellet stove. lots of windows. and i don't want to put it on the front of my house (already have an electric meter on the front! - stupid electrician!) i really want something in the fireplace!
the only thing i can think is putting a pellet stove upstairs in our bedroom (beside the chimney). but that isn't going to help heat downstairs. i dunno what to do!

no can install pellet stove in a bedroom, is prohibited. fireplace with no chimney on an interior wall.....strange indeed. It may be possible to put a pellet unit in there, but it'll take some creativity and the venting will be sinister ugly at best and downright obtrusive. Windows do not kill the stove install, they just need to be accounted for. I cannot see any pic to offer anything else, but dont give up, there is always SOMETHING you can do, though it might not be what you'd ideally like to see.

Post some piccy's so we can all be on the same page.

Snowy

mtnhiker70 said:
fireplace has no chimney n its on an interior wall. (see pic - its a cute mantle/surround though).

Am i missing something here ? Not seeing a pic . :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.