Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitey

Nov 9, 2011
N.E.Pa.
I'm installing my pellet stove using 3" pipe, will this work???," see attach." This pellet stove business is all new to me, I've been burning wood for 30 years up untill now, I haven't had any luck asking questions at any one of the three stove stores in my area, it seems if you didn't buy your stove off of one of them they don't even want to sell you stove pipe thanks Whitey

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 333
While it work OK, the EVL for it is a bit high for 3" pipe. If you choose to do it this way, you should switch to 4" pipe. Plus, that long horizontal pipe will collect ash.

That being said, why not go up through the chimney with 3" liner pipe?

What does your stove's installation manual say about venting?

That horizontal run is too long for a lot of stoves if you use 3" pipe.

It starts with the stove manual I calculate the evl as 13 up to the top turn to complete the calculation I need to know what the angles are ... It looks like a 90 plus some other piping, that 90 brings the evl to 18 heading outward from the house 18 is above the normally recommended evl for 3" pipe.

How far above sea level are you?

My elavation is apprx. 650', I have one clean out "T" and one 90 deg. el. the top end is a vent cap piece about a foot long, I already have this assembled, I coudn't afford the 30' of flex pipe to go up the chimney, and the way the house is layed out, the only place to do the install was up the chimney or straight through the back also I was wandering if I need all that verticle vent pipe, Thanks Whitey

Ok, so the evl is now at 19.

Since you haven't volunteered the stove make and model I'll come out and ask, what are you getting?

Yes, I'm even going to download the manual and see what they have to say about it.

The stove is a US Stove 5500M from TSC I know what the calculations are and I know the evl is above the required perameters, my question is, is there any way I can make this work without going up the chimney? Also I can't seem to find any evl calculations for 4" vent, or are they the same Thanks John

whitey said:
The stove is a US Stove 5500M from TSC I know what the calculations are and I know the evl is above the required perameters, my question is, is there any way I can make this work without going up the chimney? Also I can't seem to find any evl calculations for 4" vent, or are they the same Thanks John

John EVL is calculated the same regardless of the vent diameter, then a chart that is stove specific is used to determine when the vent must be 4" and even then there is a limit. You need to use 4" with that vent configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.