Verdict in: Which Stihl for One/Two-Saw Plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
I now own an MS250--I was going to buy a second saw for a back-up/larger stuff and was thinking MS390. However, my friend is interested in buying my 250, which means I will have more money to buy the saw I really want and, since we cut together, have a back-up when needed.

SO: Which saw would be kick-a** for me? I think it should be Stihl, so we have same dealer and potentially swap parts (bars/chains?).

260Pro, 361/362? I liked the weight of the 250, so I think I want a saw that can pull an 18" easily that is light, but will be faster/more powerful/cooler than my 250.

Thanks,

S

Stihl helmets must be pretty pricey.
I got a hundred Bailey's Bucks.

Merry Christmas

thinkxingu said:
Merry Christmas All,
Got a new Stihl helmet and wedge last night, but now I need to make a decision: I've already got a Husqvarna helmet and a couple wedges, so I'm thinking of trading the new ones in for:

Option 1: Kombi System/Regular Stihl or Husqvarna Weed Whacker (though I would lean heavily towards Stihl)
Option 2: Second saw to work with my MS250 (MS390?).
Option 3: Ask for the cash to put towards my future Omega Seamaster Watch (I sold my Rolex Sea-Dweller a couple years ago for a down-payment on our house, and I've missed it ever since. Unfortunately, the new Dweller is $8K I think--too rich for my blood now).

Whatya think? Any of you in the same situation with gifts?!

Enjoy the day everyone,

S

Whom ever gave you safety gear was concerned for your safety.
Do you have chaps? or chain saw safe boots?
Might concider trading safety gear for saftey gear.

However that said. If your going to get a chain saw get the 260 pro , and the 390 Get a couple extra bars and several rolls of chain. 5 gallons of bar lube. Some new files. maybe a hyd. splitter also.

Monkey,
I have chaps, a helmet, gloves, titanium-toe boots. Something else I've started to consider is selling my MS250 and picking up a 260pro, but: is the 260 a one-saw solution? And would it be better to have two saws than one 'great' one, seeing as I only cut a couple cords a year?

S

thinkxingu said:
Monkey,
I have chaps, a helmet, gloves, titanium-toe boots. Something else I've started to consider is selling my MS250 and picking up a 260pro, but: is the 260 a one-saw solution? And would it be better to have two saws than one 'great' one, seeing as I only cut a couple cords a year?

S

Got $199 Bucks. Go to Tractor Supply and get a Poulan Pro 330 54 cc's w/ 22'' Bar. And keep your MS250.

Just my $.03 adj for inflation.

BUMP: See edit above.

thinkxingu said:
I now own an MS250--I was going to buy a second saw for a back-up/larger stuff and was thinking MS390. However, my friend is interested in buying my 250, which means I will have more money to buy the saw I really want and, since we cut together, have a back-up when needed.

SO: Which saw would be kick-a** for me? I think it should be Stihl, so we have same dealer and potentially swap parts (bars/chains?).

260Pro, 361/362? I liked the weight of the 250, so I think I want a saw that can pull an 18" easily that is light, but will be faster/more powerful/cooler than my 250.

Thanks,

S

I will very likely replace my 290 with a 361 or possibly a 441/460 within the year. IMO, the 361 is the ultimate 1 saw plan and it can be had for about $100 more than the 390

thinkxingu said:
Monkey,

S

Aren't you one-sawing it with that weak-@$$ 250 right now?

To answer your question, no, the 260 is not the one saw answer - In my opinion it's a fine saw but not enough

However, if I had to chose between a weak-t!t 250 and a 260 for a one saw program it's not a difficult choce

I'm still waiting to find something wrong with my 260. For firewood, seems like a good balance between weight and power.

madrone said:
I'm still waiting to find something wrong with my 260. For firewood, seems like a good balance between weight and power.

I'm running an 18" bar on my 290 and once or twice every year I cut up a log that I wished I'd had a 24" bar for. And there's been a couple times (3, I think) in the last 6 years (got the saw in 03) where I either had to borrow a bigger saw or pass on a sweet score. Had I a 260 I can't imagine things being much different.

In my admitedly limited experience with my 260, I'd say it's the best light one saw solution you'll come across. That said, I can see why the 361 is so highly regarded, and if weight (and cost) are not as high on your list I'd go with the more powerful 361.

That said, being the featherweight that I am, I love my 260 with 18" bar and full chisel. I wouldn't want to lug around the extra 2 pounds the 361 carries with it.

Redd, I am using the 250 for everything right now--it's a great saw with a 16" bar, but over the summer I had some larger oak and birch trees that were a bit of a pain with the 16" bar (by the way, it's only about 15" cutting--I guess they use European measurements?). For this saw I would like to be able to run an 18" easily--some have mentioned the 260 is great with a 16 but a little underpowered for a buried 18. Agree? Disagree?

S

thinkxingu said:
Redd, I am using the 250 for everything right now--it's a great saw with a 16" bar, but over the summer I had some larger oak and birch trees that were a bit of a pain with the 16" bar (by the way, it's only about 15" cutting--I guess they use European measurements?). For this saw I would like to be able to run an 18" easily--some have mentioned the 260 is great with a 16 but a little underpowered for a buried 18. Agree? Disagree?

S

A 260 will run the crap out of an 18" bar

Funny, there's so much back-and-forth about the 260 being a great saw or not (always positive responses on reliability, but some negatives on power-to-weight and powerband curves), but I've yet to find a negative comment on the 361.

Heffer, it's less than 2# difference, right?

S

thinkxingu said:
Funny, there's so much back-and-forth about the 260 being a great saw or not (always positive responses on reliability, but some negatives on power-to-weight and powerband curves), but I've yet to find a negative comment on the 361.

Heffer, it's less than 2# difference, right?

S

The 260 is great on power-to-weight, just not enough power

[/quote]The 260 is great on power-to-weight, just not enough power[/quote]

I think you nailed my concern right there. Money aside, the 361 will do everything I'll ever need and, with a 16" or 18" bar, will only add 2# to what I think is already a light saw. Besides, since I'll almost always be cutting with my friend, the buyer of the 250, we'll have a lighter saw for limbing.

S

Well, my 260 isn't quite broken in, so I expect it to free up even more. With the safety chain on it I was honestly disappointed in the power. However, after sharpening it and realizing the rakers were all high, it improved a lot. Then I put a full chisel on and it got even better. By the timeits fully broken in I don't think I'll have any complaints for the tasks I put it to. I have some 18-20" stuff to cut up to tomorrow.... Will let you know how it does. It ripped through all the 8-12" stuff like butter.

361 just a Bad @ss 60cc saw and can run up to a 25in. bar, but with a 20in. bar its super strong.

Jay, shall I assume that it will be uber bad @ss with an 18"/16" bar?!

thinkxingu said:
Jay, shall I assume that it will be uber bad @ss with an 18"/16" bar?!

yes I also run a 16 in. as well.It is a light saber at that point.

Hello All,
Called my local dealer this morning and went to look at Jonsered 2156 and Stihl 361. Both felt good--the 2 pounds extra (over my 250) is noticeable, but these two are much better balanced, so I think it might be a wash in the long run.

Anyhow, ended up picking up the 361 as a result of cost and future uncertainty about this dealer selling JRed.

Good deal?: 361 w/18" bar, extra 18" chain, 16" bar & chain (all RSC), Stihl file kit, gallon bar oil, 6-pack 2-stroke oil: $640 out the door.

Now if I could just find some wood...

Thanks for the input everyone,

S

thinkxingu said:
Hello All,
Called my local dealer this morning and went to look at Jonsered 2156 and Stihl 361. Both felt good--the 2 pounds extra (over my 250) is noticeable, but these two are much better balanced, so I think it might be a wash in the long run.

Anyhow, ended up picking up the 361 as a result of cost and future uncertainty about this dealer selling JRed.

Good deal?: 361 w/18" bar, extra 18" chain, 16" bar & chain (all RSC), Stihl file kit, gallon bar oil, 6-pack 2-stroke oil: $640 out the door.

Now if I could just find some wood...

Thanks for the input everyone,

S

why two bars so close in size?

The second bar is only back-up, so I thought it would be good for limbing or small stuff. In fact, I felled over 20 trees this summer using a 16", so 18" will be that much better!

S

that saw will handle up to a 25in. bar just seems more handy to have 18in. and a 24-25 in. bar

$640 out the door seems like a good deal for all that. The 361 with a 18" bar here is $ 735 plus taxes. I just do not understand why everything is so much more expensive in Canada. It's the same saw from the same factory! The difference in the dollar does not explain this. Glad you have an new saw to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.