VERMONT CASTING RELIANCE PELLET STOVE REPAIR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fletch244

Oct 21, 2010
hudson valley new york
16 YRS OLD REPLACED AUGER BEARING, AUGER FEEDER MOTOR (GRANGER), WORKED GREAT LAST YEAR... NOW AUGER FEEDS CONSTANT, LOW SPEED, STOP SWITCH CLOSES BUT DOSENT TURN OFF AUGER.. GREEN BUTTON MUST BE SHORTED CLOSED FOR AUGER TO FEED..FANS RUN ALL THE TIME AT LOW SPEED AUX THERMOSTAT TURNED UP MAKES FAN GO TO HIGH...ON BOARD THERMOSTAT DOSENT DO ANYTHING,,,IM ABOUT READY TO BUY A HARMON FOR $3400.00...HELP

That stove is so old and Vermont hasn't made a pellet stove in quit a few years now. Most likely the control board has lost a triac on the auger timer curcuit. But there could also be a Thermal snap disc that is stuck closed on you. We would need a wiring diagram and a few pictures of the stove innerards.

I pretty sure the Reliance stove line was sold to American energy systems. They used to list a manual for it but it too is also gone.

http://www.americanenergysystems.com/owners-manuals.cfm

Wish I had better news. But it doesn't look good. Try contacting Vermont Castings or American energy systems. Maybe they have some better news or a place that still carries replacement parts for them?

Beautiful stove when it's working. Mine is still plugging along. Most of the parts on the Reliance are Harman parts. I've had some old dealers who used to sell them help me out with Harman parts to replace some on my old Reliance 2220. I would see if any of the Harman dealers in your area or other stove dealers have any experience with them. I've had a few old service guys give me some tips over the phone when mine has died. There are a few threads on this sight for that stove. Stove Parts plus might have a few parts, I've gotten some from them. http://www.stovepartsplus.com/ADS_CF.HTML
That electronic board is ultra fussy. I've had to make a few repairs on that. When mine has acted up I would unplug it and check every single wire connection in the back. I've had to make some adjustments on those settings for the fans in the back too, if they aren't just right they can really make all kinds of problems. Best of luck.

Its true: many of the feeder parts are stamped: "Harman". The fans are stupid little doorway fans mounted in a square housing. I think it looks kinda like the Harman accentra unit. Anyway, its a hodgepodge of a couple different companies trying to provide a pellet stove under some crazy trade agreement that obviously went south to some degree (although VC does still make many Harman Iron parts). I'd get the new one, my friend. I've been into a couple of the VC pellet units, they had potential, but otherwise stupid construction in regard to many of the fans, circuit boards and electronic components. The feeder was nice, though. The tax credit will take some of the $ pain away. A new Harman will blow your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.