Q&A Vermont Castings Defiant Encore--Proper operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore stove with a catalytic converter. I have been experimenting with a thermocouple thermometer and would like to know:
1. What is the recommended temperature range for the catalytic converter?
2. What is the optimal temperature?
3. Where is the best placement of the thermocouple probe. Is it above- inside or below the catalytic converter? If above or below how far?
4. Can I determine if the catalytic converter needs to be replace by the temperature?
5. Do they still make this stove? Are there any new options/additions to it?

Answer:

1. 600 to 1400 degrees
2. anything within this range--900 to 1200 degrees is great when new wood is added...it may lower after the wood turns to charcoals
3. Inside the converter will give an accurate reading
4. Yes- if it fails to reach over 1000 degree regularly after new wood is added. It usually degrades physically (falls apart) before it degrades chemicallyYes- it's still made...
5. Options are the side warming shelves- and steamers for the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.