Vermont Castings Heat Shields

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
After a bit of back and forth I've learned two things:
1) I don't have a local stove shop which appears to know anything about VC despite being listed on their website
2) You're probably my best resource if only because you probably have a VC sitting at home and you can look at it.

Which leads to 3 - This is going to be less of a restore and more of a DIY.

The heat shields on the 1910 defiant - apparently don't exist according to the local stove shop. They can order me a an outside air kit. No the shields don't interrupt the outside air kit because how can something that doesn't exist obstruct the air kit?

Ugh.

Google Docs has the information, not only is there a bottom heat shield but it's got "special instructions" for using it with the outside air kit. But more on the point any instructions to the effect of "just bend it until it fits" makes me wonder - can I fabricate these on my own? Advice? Tips? Caution?

Make sure there is a real OAK for the Defiant CAT. I remember looking into this a while ago, and it wasn't clear to me. The VC website did not mention an OAK option for the CAT (1945) model (they do for the non-CAT model), and a local dealer recently mentioned that what's available isn't a 'real' OAK (whatever that means). Anyhow, I'd certainly look into it before cutting your wall or floor!

oh it's better than that.

The instructions actually instruct you to cut the bottom heat shield with tin snips.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was a bit disappointed with the whole experience thus far from Vermont Castings.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.