Vermont Castings Intrepid w/cat gets too hot too easily. What am I doing wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afptl

Dec 16, 2010
Northern KY
Here is the history: Vermont Castings Intrepid model 1308 with a cat. 6 inch rear exit flue hooked into a new stainless flex liner all the way to the top with the cap, etc. on it. No insulation on pipe, and I have a block off plate. I keep a wood stove thermometer on the griddle on the top. This stove is a front or top load. It does have a small firebox, so I try to keep a small fire in it but it really wants to get too hot too easily. I feel like I have to babysit the stove. the manual I downloaded off line said to not let the stove get over 750 degrees, and to flip it to "CAT" when the temp got to 450 Degrees. It seems to go up to 750 degrees without a lot of fire. We do have good seasoned wood. It's like I have a hot stove with 2 or 3 little sticks! The family has been calling it the kindling burner as it is efficient with making heat with a little wood. I just feel like I am always fooling with it. Adjusting damper, checking temps. When the temp gets to 750 degrees, I have been setting a box fan on low 3 feet from it to cool it down so it does not get damaged. What am I doing wrong?

Also, chimney is not that high, it was 13 feet from top to floor of old fireplace.

I am also used to my big monster Crosswinds wood furnace in the basement, that just eats wood. It is old school I know, but we just load it and go to bed. I have to really watch the intrepid, and have stayed up with it when I wasn't comfortable with the temps on top.

Ann from KY said:
Here is the history: Vermont Castings Intrepid model 1308 with a cat. 6 inch rear exit flue hooked into a new stainless flex liner all the way to the top with the cap, etc. on it. No insulation on pipe, and I have a block off plate. I keep a wood stove thermometer on the griddle on the top. This stove is a front or top load. It does have a small firebox, so I try to keep a small fire in it but it really wants to get too hot too easily. I feel like I have to babysit the stove. the manual I downloaded off line said to not let the stove get over 750 degrees, and to flip it to "CAT" when the temp got to 450 Degrees. It seems to go up to 750 degrees without a lot of fire. We do have good seasoned wood. It's like I have a hot stove with 2 or 3 little sticks! The family has been calling it the kindling burner as it is efficient with making heat with a little wood. I just feel like I am always fooling with it. Adjusting damper, checking temps. When the temp gets to 750 degrees, I have been setting a box fan on low 3 feet from it to cool it down so it does not get damaged. What am I doing wrong?

Also, chimney is not that high, it was 13 feet from top to floor of old fireplace.

I am also used to my big monster Crosswinds wood furnace in the basement, that just eats wood. It is old school I know, but we just load it and go to bed. I have to really watch the intrepid, and have stayed up with it when I wasn't comfortable with the temps on top.

I have a 1308. I like to run it hot when I can. Have you checked your main air control in the back right of the stove? Are your seals around the double glass layer lined up and tight? Good gaskets?

One thing I noticed about the rear air control that is controlled by the skinny thin lever on top--is-- when you push it all the way to the right which is the Minus side it does not shut all the way. Maybe the chain is too short? is it supposed to shut all the way? It shuts almost all the way however

Ann from KY said:
One thing I noticed about the rear air control that is controlled by the skinny thin lever on top--is-- when you push it all the way to the right which is the Minus side it does not shut all the way. Maybe the chain is too short? is it supposed to shut all the way? It shuts almost all the way however

You can adjust the chain.

OK I will try to let the chain out tomorrow when the stove cools down.

Ann from KY said:

I would also check all of the gaskets. And there are a lot of them on the 1308 with the double layered glass on each door. Check the screws that hold the glas in place. They can sometimes loosen.

Ann, the thing is that on your Intrepid, the "flapper" is supposed to be as you described it when the stove is COLD. So as it heats up, the thermostat coil should expand allowing the flapper to FULLY close. Why'd they do it that way? No clue, probably overpaid engineers. The point is though, that either the thermostat is wonky, or more likely it's a gasketing issue. Around the glass is always a good place to start. If you tap with your finger on the glass panes(cold stove of course) ya' oughta get a dull "thud". If ya' get a "rattle", then it's gasket time. Somewhere it's leakin' air!

BrowningBAR said:
Ann from KY said:

I would also check all of the gaskets. And there are a lot of them on the 1308 with the double layered glass on each door. Check the screws that hold the glas in place. They can sometimes loosen.

I agree. If your stove is running away from you, good chance you have an air leak or three. An air leak at the ashpan door would be especially bad.

I'm not familiar with the Intrepid model but on my old VC/Dutchwest Large convection with CAT, a "griddle" area was on top and in the middle of the stove. This was above the area where the CAT was located and had its own recessed thermometer for CAT burn activity scaled from 0-1800 degrees i believe. If you put the magnetic thermometer on the griddle and its over the cat (if it is) wouldn't the temps be higher, influenced by the "CAT" combustion rather than the burning of the stove? Just wondering.

cass

Ductape said:
BrowningBAR said:
Ann from KY said:

I agree. If your stove is running away from you, good chance you have an air leak or three. An air leak at the ashpan door would be especially bad.

No gaskets for the ashpan. The ashpan is actually inside the two main doors.

One of the best ashpan designs ever.... Ann you might have air leaks. look carefully at seams of stove and around where primary air enters stove lower rh side looking throught the door... ive had to reseal mine twice since ive owned it... best way is to shine a strong flashlight around seams and primary air inlet while looking inside firebox. my intrepid is a 1303 model but pretty sure its close to same. My stove has seen 750 couple of times but usually runs around 600... for what its worth

jetmech said:
One of the best ashpan designs ever.... Ann you might have air leaks. look carefully at seams of stove and around where primary air enters stove lower rh side looking throught the door... ive had to reseal mine twice since ive owned it... best way is to shine a strong flashlight around seams and primary air inlet while looking inside firebox. my intrepid is a 1303 model but pretty sure its close to same. My stove has seen 750 couple of times but usually runs around 600... for what its worth

I hate it. I'd prefer them to do away with the ashpan and give it a larger fire box.

Yea well it is what it is... im just sayin its designed so as to not cause air leaks

OK. I adjusted the chain on the back that controls the damper. Fixed it so it closes almost tight. In looking at it, it didn't close all the way. I found a manual online that says it should close all the way except for 1/8 inch. When I shinned a flashlight inside towards the out near the top of the doors, you could see a little bit of light at the top of the door. The guy I got the stove from had put new gaskets on it.

We are going to make another fire to test to see if the adjustment to the damper control helped out. What is a good goat to run the stove at for extended times? 600 degrees?

I called Vermont Castings at 800-867-0454 and talked to tech support. Not overly helpful but he did email me a copy of the manual for the 1308. There were a few differences from the new manual I found online vs. the one he emailed me.

I really appreciate everyone's help!! This stove is really important to providing heat for me, hubby and remaining 4 children at home. Budget can't handle turning the propane on. The basement wood furnace is too much heat most of the time. We are homeschoolers, and home all day so this is the heat! The children are getting a real education with all of this. They have been taught the scientific principles about the draft of the stove, combustion, moisture in wood, etc. The two boys (ages 15 and 13) are really the ones who helped me (mostly they did) with the installation of the chimney liner. At least when they are grown they should know all about heating with wood!

Attachments

• Stove door on left Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Stove door on left Standard e-mail view.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Stove door on right Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Stove door on right Standard e-mail view.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,344
  • Vermont Castings Intrepid 005 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Vermont Castings Intrepid 005 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,370
tcassavaugh said:
I'm not familiar with the Intrepid model but on my old VC/Dutchwest Large convection with CAT, a "griddle" area was on top and in the middle of the stove. This was above the area where the CAT was located and had its own recessed thermometer for CAT burn activity scaled from 0-1800 degrees i believe. If you put the magnetic thermometer on the griddle and its over the cat (if it is) wouldn't the temps be higher, influenced by the "CAT" combustion rather than the burning of the stove? Just wondering.

cass
The Intrepid's cat in not on the top like the CDW's it's in the back of the stove.

VCBurner said:
tcassavaugh said:

cass
The Intrepid's cat in not on the top like the CDW's it's in the back of the stove.

Correct.

Are you getting an even burn of fuel from left to right? (in other words are you left with more unburnt fuel on one side of the firebox than the other?)

Ann from KY said:

Ann, I too have a VC Intrepid II, and have had the same issues you speak of since I bought the stove brand new 6 years ago.I have never been able to fully "Stuff" the stove for a long burn, it always over heats. I now only burn
about 2 to 3 3" splits at a time, and nurse the stove only when I'm home...I have had numerous people look at the stove
and was told by all that this is normal. I have had all my gaskets checked and the stove is very air tight, but it will still overheat with too much wood inside.
The primary air flap that you spoke of is supposed to be open when the stove is cold...this is a factory preset measurement and need not be adjusted unless the thermostatic spring is defective.

I am sitting here watching it. It had the damper set about in the middle, with 3 small pieces in there. tree branches. Cat is on, stove is at 750 degrees so I have the box fan on it. Damper is now all the way shut.
Right now, as I look at the fire the left side of the stove/fire seems to have more flame than the right AS you are looking at the stove. That is the picture I attached. F

Attachments

• Vermont Castings Intrepid Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Vermont Castings Intrepid Standard e-mail view.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 9,249
We raised the lid to look in at the fire. (can load from the top)

Then it went even hotter, pushing closer to 800. the damper is all the way shut. keeps burning away. cat is on. I'm getting so frustrated with this stove, and it was such a HUGE deal to get it. Put box fan on high to try to move the heat. Can the wood be kicking the heat up this high? Fire NOW seems to be more evenly distributed as you look through the glass in.

Picture is when fire is coming down from 800 to about 750 degrees.

Ran box fan on high to blow heat off the stove, damper is all the way 100% shut. Stove is really frustrating me as it is so important to the family to keep us warm. I bought a Vermont Castings to stay away from the china junk that seems to be everywhere in our price range.

Attachments

• burn in front about 750 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    burn in front about 750 Standard e-mail view.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 913
Ann from KY said:
We raised the lid to look in at the fire. (can load from the top)

Then it went even hotter, pushing closer to 800. the damper is all the way shut. keeps burning away. cat is on. I'm getting so frustrated with this stove, and it was such a HUGE deal to get it. Put box fan on high to try to move the heat. Can the wood be kicking the heat up this high? Fire NOW seems to be more evenly distributed as you look through the glass in.

Picture is when fire is coming down from 800 to about 750 degrees.

Ran box fan on high to blow heat off the stove, damper is all the way 100% shut. Stove is really frustrating me as it is so important to the family to keep us warm. I bought a Vermont Castings to stay away from the china junk that seems to be everywhere in our price range.

At what temperature are you engaging the cat?

We engage the CAT at 450 to 500 degrees with the thermometer on top of the griddle.

Thanks bmwbj for writing in. I kinda thought about just using the little stuff, but it's hard to cut just the little stuff. I am afraid to "load the stove" and go to bed or leave the house. I feel like I am running it with the damper closed or almost closed all the time, and it worries me I am just making creosote in the chimney flue. I expect to have a learning curve with a new stove, but we have been burning a wood furnace in the basement for years. we're not new to wood burning.

bmwbj, do you only have the Vermont Castings Intrepid or do you have another stove?

You should also check the primary air on the bottom in the center at the back. That one is also theromastically controlled and it can get stuck open. There is also a pin attached to it that goes in under the CAT that may be burned off or damaged. It would also be a good idea to take out the ash pan and check the seams there. In my Intrepid II I had several small places where the stove cement had fallen out. After fixing them I got a better preforming stove.

Ann, if you are that hot with cat engaged and primary air off you are drawing air from another source... I would let the stove completly cool and clean out all the ash and inspect all seams and gaskets... as i said mt 1303 had cement cracked out at rear seams and i could light coming through with a flashlight while looking inside the stove. Elmoleaf had some great posts about where to check for leaks that helped me when i first got my stove. i resealed my areas with rutland cement and let it sit for a day to cure... so far so good,, you should be able to load that stove and control the heat as designed.. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.