Vermont Castings Sequoia Recall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wilson

Nov 19, 2005
Orient Point, NY
I found this while doing some research on inserts and fireplaces, and thought it might be of interest to anyone who has a Vermont Castings Sequoia. Vermont Castings announced a recall of their Sequoia catalytic fireplace. Apparently due to a missing weld or insufficient insulation, there is a fire hazard. If anyone has one of these, contact your Vermont Castings dealer, or call their parent company, CFM Corporation at (866) 757-6649.

-- Mike

CFM Corp. Recalls Sequoia Wood Burning Fireplaces for Fire Hazard
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Sequoia Wood Burning Fireplaces

Units: About 1,300

Manufacturer: CFM Corp. of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Hazard: Due to insufficient insulation or a missing weld, some of these fireplaces could pose a fire hazard.

Description: Only models EWF30, EWF36, and EWF36A are affected by this recall. The recalled fireplaces are 400 or 700 pound steel plate wood-burning fireplaces with the trade name “Sequoia.” The fireplaces measure 30-inches-wide or 36-inches-wide, have doors which seal them and are designed for installation in openings in the walls of homes that connect to chimneys. Affected model and serial numbers include.

The name "CFM Corporation" and the model and serial number are located on the rating plate at the bottom right corner of each fireplace

Manufactured In: Canada and the United States

Sold at: Authorized Vermont Castings dealers in Canada and the United States from January 1, 2003 through mid-April, 2006 for about $2,200 for the EWF30 and about $3,000 for the EWF36 and EWF36A.

Remedy: CFM representatives or authorized dealers will arrange to conduct an in-home repair for every affected fireplace

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact CFM Corp. at (866) 757-6649 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

Attachments

• 06198.jpg
    06198.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 993
That company should merge

Mike, your avatar, while comforting in a weird way, is somewhat creepy. Could you add to your signature line "the patriots are 5 times super", or something (I don't know what the right number is).

Pook said:
HA,HA is this the essence of a love/hate relationship? perhaps the "castings' go beyond vermont! i am most enetertained,thanx.

Ahhhhhh you're just too new to fully understand the years of fun we had together! :)

And Mike from Athens... have I mentioned... the Pats $uCK!

-- Mike

The problem is steel - see, that is made in Canada.

Never mind that all steel sold must conform to the same A36 spec. ( I do know you're being sarcastic)

that recall came out in mid 2006, affected units were possibly sold as far back as 2003. potentially as many as 1300 units though it doesnt specify that all 1300 are defective , just that the possibility of this defect is present, seems i recall (bad play on words) hearing about this about a year or so ago but i didnt remember the specifics until i looked it up , its actualy posted on their corporate website, and it does appear they are corecting the situation if they have not already done so.

Webmaster said:
The problem is steel - see, that is made in Canada. Nothing to do with the foundry workers, or the great VT Company of the same name. Now, don't gimme chit, or I will hit you over de head with a VC frying pan!

And vat eez exatvee wrong vit steel made in Kanada?? You know zat vee are a very steely people,or volkstrum. If you donne velieve me ask Adolph Harper? hmmmm-verry interesting vopic..

stoveguy2esw said:
that recall came out in mid 2006, affected units were possibly sold as far back as 2003. potentially as many as 1300 units though it doesnt specify that all 1300 are defective , just that the possibility of this defect is present, seems i recall (bad play on words) hearing about this about a year or so ago but i didnt remember the specifics until i looked it up , its actualy posted on their corporate website, and it does appear they are corecting the situation if they have not already done so.
Must be spring the content of this post is OOOOLD News.

I'd love to find somebody that has one of these to tell me how it works. I can't find anybody that has one. :(.
I need to replace my WMC42 wood sucking open POS, and this uses the same pipe, but I'm a little hesitant because I cannot find anybody that actually has one of these, or even anyone that has personally installed one. If you have any opinions on this unit (The EWF36A), have one, installed one, whatever, I'd love to hear about it.

I have the EWF36A -- I installed it September 2007. (30' Chimney). This install went pretty easy since it was going into a new house. The Heat is amazing, I have a 4500SQft home with a 27' ceiling in this main room. This Fireplace was put in the center of the house and being an open floor plan the heat distributes well. I like the air wash system I hardly have to clean the windows. Only issue at this time is a small piece of the catalyst just fell out, I have only burned ~6 cords total. Not sure what happened, I have had catalyst stoves in the past and never had this issue. The second part of this issue is getting the catalyst under my warranty. Since VC went Bankrupt in June 08 they will not honor any past warranties. The List price is $380.

Status
Not open for further replies.