Vermont Castings stove defective after 4 weeks - repair costs me $100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermonter2011

Jan 25, 2011
USA
I had a Vermont Castings woodstove installed recently, and after less than a month, the damper gasket came loose. There was no sign of cement on a 6†to 8â€segment of the gasket that was hanging loose – it appeared to have been improperly cemented when it was manufactured. A photo is attached.

I called the dealer who sold and installed the stove, Bennington Pool, Spa & Hearth, and asked them to repair the gasket. They told that me that if they came to my home to make the repair, they would have to bill me for travel time at $65 an hour, as Vermont Castings doesn’t cover their travel time if they make warranty repairs. I’m about 50 minutes from their storefront, and don’t feel that I should have to pay over $100 to repair a product that was immediately defective.

The dealer’s suggestion was that I buy some stove cement and repair it myself, which is something I don’t know how to do, and I don’t want to risk creating a leaky stove.

When I called Vermont Castings’s customer service department, they told me that, indeed, they don’t cover travel time for warranty repairs, even for an item in place less than a month, and told me that the dealer is responsible for all repairs.

Vermont Castings needs to stand behind their products – making a customer pay for a product that has a manufacturing defect appear almost immediately after installation is inexcusable, and making the dealer choose between absorbing travel time costs or charging the customer for them also makes it far more likely that the customer will pay for a manufacturing defect.

Attachments

• woodstove - reduced.jpg
    woodstove - reduced.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,711
The new VC does not have a very good rep but this is something that can happen to any stove manufacturer. Its best you learn how to replace all gaskets yourself as this is a maintenance item. We can walk you through it and its easy as pie. In fact if you look up replacing gasket you will find many helpful threads.
Basically you just remove the old gasket,clean the channel its in then apply the right gasket glue and put the new gasket in. Your owners manual should have the specs if not ask here and someone with your stove will help you. It is possible you will be able to glue the old pieces in but you should still have spare gaskets. That includes door,window and top gaskets and anymore your stove might have.
Sometime if the deep winter you will have to replace a gasket and you will be happy you learned how. Best of luck.

Vermonter2011,

I agree completely. A lousy company policy that does nothing to make someone want to buy their products.

The good news is that re-gluing a gasket is pretty simple. My Woodstock Keystone had part of the door gasket come loose and the ash pan door gasket come loose too. I went to the hardware store, but a little bottle of gasket cement and was back in business. Woodstock is mail order, so no dealer to turn to.

Fix the gasket - enjoy the stove!

Bill

I wish I had found this site before I bought my VC. My advice to you is search this site A LOT for any question you may have about anything stove related. Mistakes made with a VC can cost you some $$$$. Better to find out how to burn "right" first before you have to deal with VC and pay later. With that said, many people have had good experiences with VC stoves. I have my encore running good now but I had to learn the hard way and spend some time and $$.
Other posters are correct, replacing the gasket is relatively easy and a skill that will be very beneficial to you in the future.
Good luck!

No manufacture that I know of pays for travel for warranty. Your dealer is the one that is being a jerk he gets paid for one hour of time for that type of repair. He should of never sold you that stove if he can not honor the warranty. Selling is the easy part. Honoring his part of the deal with VC without tacking on costs too you is part of the cost of running a store. On the other hand you should just fix it yourself and be done with it. It is not a hard repair and only should take a few moments of your time.

Thanks, gang. I'm having a different dealer come by in two days to show me how to replace the gasket properly, and then I'll know how to do it. It'll cost me a hundred bucks, and I'll have learned not to deal with my dealer, Bennington Pool and Hearth, and I'll also how to properly cement a gasket (I want to make sure it doesn't leak).

Ask if the dealer will mail you a new gasket at no charge and learn how to fix it yourself. That way, if you have a problem re-adhering the gasket in the picture, you'll have a replacement on hand.
As mentioned, gaskets are a maintenance item and eventually you'll need to replace them anyway or pay someone to do it. Gasket is inexpensive...McMaster Carr sells it online for 47 cents a foot for 5/16th size.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with mfrs. selling exclusively through dealers, with controlled pricing. In these situations, though, it is incumbent on the mfr. to ensure that the dealers are competent and are actually delivering the service. Customers pay more for the stove in exchange for knowledgeable and competent dealers. Good dealers are the lifeblood of these mfrs., and bad dealers will kill them.

I hope OP lets VC know what kind of crummy service he received and the name of the dealer.

Two questions everybody that insists on buying from dealers should ask before buying. 1.) Will you repair the stove on-site? 2.) If this bad boy has to be replaced who hauls it to your shop and who pays for sending it back to the manufacturer.

Thanks, Dan:

Yes, I wrote a letter to Vermont Castings, and included the dealer's name. Fortunately, this is only a $100 lesson, and not something expensive.

Vermonter2011 said:
Thanks, gang. I'm having a different dealer come by in two days to show me how to replace the gasket properly, and then I'll know how to do it. It'll cost me a hundred bucks, and I'll have learned not to deal with my dealer, Bennington Pool and Hearth, and I'll also how to properly cement a gasket (I want to make sure it doesn't leak).
It is really something that you can fix yourself, there is info all over the net, I can't imagine paying $100 to re-install a gasket.

I agree that fixing a gasket is not difficult and definitely something you should learn to do anyway. But, with that being said ......... your dealer STINKS ! I can't believe they won't eat a simple drive to your house and correct the problem.

Yup. Very poor dealer. But the other guys are right. This is something you need to know how to fix and a child can do it; it is that simple. Only thing would be to make sure you have the right size gasket as different size gaskets are used in different places and on different stoves.

?? I am confused (doesn't take much). I watched the above video. He stated to use furnace cement to adhere the gasket. Hmmm.... I 'thought' a person used a silicon caulk.

Looking for clarification here: Furnace cement or silicone caulk?

Can you tell I haven't had to do this yet? :)

They make a glue that is specifically for gaskets. Can't tell you right off hand what it is other than....gasket glue.

Shari said:
?? I am confused (doesn't take much). I watched the above video. He stated to use furnace cement to adhere the gasket. Hmmm.... I 'thought' a person used a silicon caulk.

I use Rutland's "Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement".
256040_front200.jpg

BrowningBAR said:
Shari said:

I use Rutland's "Hi-Temp Stove & Gasket Cement".
256040_front200.jpg

Looks like the same tube he had. Thanks.

I take gasket changing, glass cleaning, flue cleaning, etc, all as part of the wood burning lifestyle. If I didn't ever want to do anything heat wise, I would just set the thermostat to $$$ and write a check every month. But all that is part of what my wife calls.. "Interactive heat" along with firewood prep, 3am stove loadings, etc.

You really should just do this yourself.

really.

Shari said:

Furnace cement is a form of silica (usually)....
In most wood units, you don't use silicone caulk which is only good to about 700 degree.
Most gasket cement is just furnace cement thinned out a bit.

Personally, I liked a clear cement that was available from Heat Safe, but I can't seem to find that on the net any longer - it was thinner and stickier than most other brands.

This is on your dealer but as others have said it's an easy repair. Before I even fired my Lopi Endeavor the gasket on the door pulled loose along the bottom of the stove. I didn't even bother to call the dealer, I went to the local hardware store bought a tube of gasket cement and called it a day. To me gaskets are items that will always require maintenance, I'll be darned if I have to wait on my dealer for that kind of repair.

The cement I use is HomeSaver Stove Gasket Cement. Gasket Cement

Vermonter2011 said:
Gang - this repair turned out to be far more complicated - the damper assembly had to be disassembled to repair the gasket.

The repair guys found that most of the gaskets hadn't been properly cemented when they took the stove apart - see my new post with the follow-up to my story here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/69925/

I've done this on the Intrepid. Not a big deal to do it yourself. Though, it should have been done properly before it made it's way into your home.

Either way, I imaging this could happen to any stove, from any stove manufacturer. Your dealer was the one that dropped the ball on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.