Q&A Vermont Castings Winterwarm Whistles !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I also have a Vermont Castings Winterwarm fireplace insert. It has a 30-32-foot chimney. My problem with the fireplace insert has been a whistling noise and an apparent inability to control the intensity of the fire. I can reduce the fire by closing the damper- but can never achieve a very slow burn. I always have a good flame going and have never had any problems starting a fire or any downdrafts. I had a Winterwarm system in my former house and was able to control the fire fairly effectively. The air-intake control appears to have no effect. My local dealer- who installed the insert- told me to replace the gasketing (but the whistling began shortly after the insert was installed and the gasketing would have been brand new). I have tried tightening the door latch- but this had no effect. I keep thinking that either it wasn't installed properly or there is an air leak somewhere. Do you have any opinions on this? By the way- I have yet to see typical smoke come out of the top of the chimney.

Answer:

This is probably a case of overdraft. The stove is designed for a certain draft and your chimney is much stronger. You didn't mention if the chimney is lined- but this would cause an even stronger draft. You should attempt to "spoil" the draft and see if this helps...for instance:
1. Try closing off the size of the top of the chimney and see if this helps
2. By making some intentional air leaks into the chimney (holes in the plate that blocks off the damper area- loosen the panels from the front of the fireplace- etc.) you can spoil the draft and see what happens. This is the largest probability..but it's always possible that the draft control on the unit is not adjusted correctly. This would mean the air inlet flaps were not completely closed when the unit is turned down. I think these are adjustable in your insert...but the front must be removed to access them.

Status
Not open for further replies.