Vermont Elm Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodboy

Jan 19, 2011
Trumansburg NY
I was wondering if anyone had any input on these stoves. Especially the new ones from Vermont Iron Works.
Do they use more wood than most stoves today?
They look like the heat just goes from the front of the stove straight out to the back out the chimney, no routing of gases.
I looked at the pictures on Steve's websites and looked at his videos on youtube. It seems he is still in the experimental stages.

Any help would appreciated.

I currently have a Woodstock fireview in an old farm house. My curtains move when birds or mosquitoes just fly by. The stove gets to 500 - 600 if I want it to. I have the new replacement combustor scoop and a new steelcat combustor replaced under warranty as the old one just crumbled due to a manufacturer design, that is what woodstock told me. I have two combustors to switch each month. My second ceramic combustor is just fine. So I bought a second steelcat to switch out with the replaced combustor. I really like the steelcat. It heats up the stove much faster and lights off at a lower temp.

I was just wondering if the Elm stove would possibly help solve my heating problems.

REF1 has been using this type of stove.

I think you need to seal up the leaks and maybe insulate before looking into different stoves.

+100. The solution is to stop heating outdoors. Start fixing the easy leaks right now, tackle a few rooms per weekend. And check to see if your community, utility or state had an energy audit program. If you can get an audit done it should be very instructive in how to reduce the leakage.

Yeah Yeah yeah I know I need to fix leaks.

I just wanted to know how this stove performs compared to others. I guess I gave too much info.

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine. I basically ordered it today. It looks to me like he has mastered the secondary burn feature. I also like how with the different barrel lengths I will be able to load long splits. I ordered the 30" clean air Elm. With the huge firebox 5.5cuft it should be capable of long burns. It can be had up to 38"L. Compared to all but the cheapest stoves on the market it looks to me like a real good value. However the one thing that I like is constomer service. If you have a question you can email with quick response or call and not have to wait through 15 minutes of bull crap only to have someone get on the phone who knows nothing and is only reading from a prompt to try and answer your question and after its all said and done you've spent 1/2 hr on the phone and accomplished nothing. Made in USA too!!!!! Its a totally custom stove. You basically build it how you want it including the color. Don't know if I'll have it before the season is over but I'll be sure to give a report when I do.
Now here is may saying for the day. Don't try to find a better way to heat the outdoors. A friend of mine is using a stove I had in the house for 5yrs that heated my whole 2800sqft pretty decent. He has it in a rather small livivng space I'm guess at about 800sqft. He said its keeping up but barely. The stove is 30x36x24. Monster sized stove for sure. If that can't heat 800sqft he needs (IMO to start a really big fire hehehehehe) to fix something else, like all the drafts.

wkpoor said:
I'll let you know as soon as I get mine. I basically ordered it today. It looks to me like he has mastered the secondary burn feature. I also like how with the different barrel lengths I will be able to load long splits. I ordered the 30" clean air Elm. With the huge firebox 5.5cuft it should be capable of long burns. It can be had up to 38"L. Compared to all but the cheapest stoves on the market it looks to me like a real good value. However the one thing that I like is constomer service. If you have a question you can email with quick response or call and not have to wait through 15 minutes of bull crap only to have someone get on the phone who knows nothing and is only reading from a prompt to try and answer your question and after its all said and done you've spent 1/2 hr on the phone and accomplished nothing. Made in USA too!!!!! Its a totally custom stove. You basically build it how you want it including the color. Don't know if I'll have it before the season is over but I'll be sure to give a report when I do.
Now here is may saying for the day. Don't try to find a better way to heat the outdoors. A friend of mine is using a stove I had in the house for 5yrs that heated my whole 2800sqft pretty decent. He has it in a rather small livivng space I'm guess at about 800sqft. He said its keeping up but barely. The stove is 30x36x24. Monster sized stove for sure. If that can't heat 800sqft he needs (IMO to start a really big fire hehehehehe) to fix something else, like all the drafts.

Neat! I'm interested in those, and think they're beautiful.

Is your stove essentially new? Or somewhat used? How much?

Woodboy said:
My curtains move when birds or mosquitoes just fly by.

I was just wondering if the Elm stove would possibly help solve my heating problems.

Which is the simpler solution?

Caulk at $6-$8 per tube

Great Stuff at about $4.99 per can

$1,700 per stove (based on wkpoor's price :))
elm18_stove.jpg

Seriously, I live in an old drafty farm house. You'd be amazed what caulking, Great Stuff, and a a 5 gallon bucket of refractory cement can do. The refractory cement is my new favorite product. Way better than joint compound. Works great on my deep window sills.

Neat! I’m interested in those, and think they’re beautiful.

Will be new. Price list can be had on request. Mine should be about 1700.00 if I do the nickel trim.

wkpoor said:
Neat! I’m interested in those, and think they’re beautiful.

Will be new. Price list can be had on request. Mine should be about 1700.00 if I do the nickel trim.

Neat, thanks!

Are you going with a cat, secondaries, both, or neither?

wkpoor said:

Wow, in just a few months wkpoor went from having a pre-EPA monster and laughing at modern stoves to owning TWO modern EPA stoves.

[quote author="BrowningBAR" date="1295503392 Wow, in just a few months wkpoor went from having a pre-EPA monster and laughing at modern stoves to owning TWO modern EPA stoves.[/quote]
Well now this has been a plan from the start. Bringing in the Mag from the crate in the garage was a test to see if I even wanted a new stove. And if I did it was going to be the Elm. The Mag will go back to the garage in wait for completion of the summer kitchen and the Elm will take its place. Rember I'm not new to heating with wood by no means. Just new to EPA stoves. I went through a similar thing with chainsaws a couple yrs back so I figured maybe the new stoves just might be better also. Course you could say that about anything, new tractors, new cars or whatever.

Neat, thanks!

Secondaries only. To have one without those would be to take a step back. In Steves opinion good secondaries overides the need for a cat. He has done alot of testing on his stoves and I'm trusting his expertise there.

wkpoor said:
Neat, thanks!

Secondaries only. To have one without those would be to take a step back. In Steves opinion good secondaries overides the need for a cat. He has done alot of testing on his stoves and I'm trusting his expertise there.

Congrats and please post your experiences and photos. I love the looks of that stove.

BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:
My curtains move when birds or mosquitoes just fly by.

Which is the simpler solution?

Top rated caulk at about $6-$8 per tube

Great Stuff at about $4.99 per can

$1,700 per stove (based on wkpoor's price :))

Seriously, I live in an old drafty farm house. You'd be amazed what caulking, Great Stuff, and a a 5 gallon bucket of refractory cement can do. The refractory cement is my new favorite product. Way better than joint compound. Works great on my deep window sills.

The stove looks a lot better.

Woodboy said:

You already have a fireview! Now insulate, caulk, and seal.

BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:

No.

I want to punch your avatar. :)

LMFAO here. Please stop. My eye's are watering. On second thought don't. Laughter is good medecine!!!!!!!

Woodboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:

No.

Your just jealous I'm better looking than you.
So is the Elm.

I don't get it BB, I thought you surely would have made him an offer for his Fireview by now?

Todd said:
Woodboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy said:
BrowningBAR said:
Woodboy" date="1295581007 said:

No.

Your just jealous I'm better looking than you.
So is the Elm.

I don't get it BB, I thought you surely would have made him an offer for his Fireview by now?

Already have the Heritage. If I replace the Vigilant it will either be with an Oslo/Defiant/New Woodstock size stove. And The Fireview doesn't fit where the Intrepid is. I now have to be picky about my stove purchases.

I think the Elm requires a certain personality type. The instant I saw that stove I fell in love with it. Some people are more into decorative type stoves with conventional appearance. Some are into simple like the Englanders/Magnolias ect. And some like the artistic stuff. I'll bet if you could see what stove owners drive it would be the same. Me all my vehicles I buy even new are base models. No power anything. All I need is is 4 wheels and something to make thing go. My truck, base model Chevy Express 3500, very practical and way cheaper than a PU. People who buy VCs, hearthstones ect probably buy fully loaded vehicles with all the whistles and bells and nice trim packages. Can the fancy truck haul more....heck no....you just look better in it.

wkpoor said:
I think the Elm requires a certain personality type. The instant I saw that stove I fell in love with it. Some people are more into decorative type stoves with conventional appearance. Some are into simple like the Englanders/Magnolias ect. And some like the artistic stuff. I'll bet if you could see what stove owners drive it would be the same. Me all my vehicles I buy even new are base models. No power anything. All I need is is 4 wheels and something to make thing go. My truck, base model Chevy Express 3500, very practical and way cheaper than a PU. People who buy VCs, hearthstones ect probably buy fully loaded vehicles with all the whistles and bells and nice trim packages. Can the fancy truck haul more....heck no....you just look better in it.

I take your point, and am not disagreeing, but personally find the Elm to be one of the prettier stoves around. That early-American look, the lovely Elm, that pyrex-pie-plate window--they have a retro-appeal that few modern stoves can match, in my opinion. I'd love to see a major manufacturer make modern stoves with that steam-engine, nickel-plated, parlor stove look, from the time when a wood stove could be the centerpiece of a room. Like those Kalamazoo parlor stoves.

But that's just me. It'd probably be a flop. :)

(Curious) George said:
wkpoor said:

I take your point, and am not disagreeing, but personally find the Elm to be one of the prettier stoves around. That early-American look, the lovely Elm, that pyrex-pie-late window--they have a retro-appeal that few modern stoves can match, in my opinion. I'd love to see a major manufacturer make modern stoves with that steam-engine, nickel-plated, parlor stove look, from the time when a wood stove could be the centerpiece of a room. Like those Kalamazoo parlor stoves.

But that's just me. It'd probably be a flop. :)

As do I. It has character and detail. I find the Elm to be quite traditional looking and on par with the classic looks of a VC or Jotul.

Status
Not open for further replies.