Vertical Splitting Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Sav, I just had to stay Vertical for this load of Cherry. Looks like I'll start on the Sugar Maple and Beech tomorrow and stack in the area in picture 2975 and once thats done I'll get some mo Cherry.

GIBIR

Attachments

• 100_3006.jpg
    100_3006.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_3007.jpg
    100_3007.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 100_3008.jpg
    100_3008.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 100_2975.jpg
    100_2975.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 345
Zap, I didn't know there was a different way other than vertical! ;-)

All right, so you take the round off the top of the pile, put it on the ground, squat down to split it, then pick up all the pieces and toss them up into the trailer?

No way! Solar, you have the wrong idea there. It is much easier if you do it right. God gave you an arse to sit on; use it.

Backwoods Savage said:
No way! Solar, you have the wrong idea there. It is much easier if you do it right. God gave you an arse to sit on; use it.

I do that too many hours a week as it is :lol: My split time went from 2.5 hours per cord to 1.5 per cord when I switched from vertical to horizontal.

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I do that too many hours a week as it is :lol: My split time went from 2.5 hours per cord to 1.5 per cord when I switched from vertical to horizontal.

What you do put a super charger on there! ;-)

Nope. I found that if you have a 4 cord pile of rounds adjacent to the splitter, they go through the splitter a lot faster if you use it as a bench.

SolarAndWood said:
Nope. I found that if you have a 4 cord pile of rounds adjacent to the splitter, they go through the splitter a lot faster if you use it as a bench.

Yes I have seen your soup bowl. lol Afraid me tripping over everything, would have me pissed off. Cant argue your speed though!
:coolgrin:

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

Yes I have seen your soup bowl. lol Afraid me tripping over everything, would have me pissed off. Cant argue your speed though!

lol, I find the soup bowl to have a warm casual intimate if you will feel to it :coolsmile:

That site is sweet Zap, thanks for posting it.

Attachments

• 051911 soup.jpg
    051911 soup.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 261
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:

lol, I find the soup bowl to have a warm casual intimate if you will feel to it :coolsmile:

That site is sweet Zap, thanks for posting it.

Now that looks nice! Thats not the pic I was referring to. You have one where your splitter is buried and using the splits as a table.

SolarAndWood said:
All right, so you take the round off the top of the pile, put it on the ground, squat down to split it, then pick up all the pieces and toss them up into the trailer?

Solar do you have any type of table built so when you split the splits fall off on the table.

Zap

You can kind of see it in this pic, it is a make shift pile of splits with some splitter trash to smooth it out. You can also see the soup J is busting on me for.

Attachments

• 033011 splittingIPA.jpg
    033011 splittingIPA.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 220
SolarAndWood said:
You can kind of see it in this pic, it is a make shift pile of splits with some splitter trash to smooth it out. You can also see the soup J is busting on me for.

That is like being on the defensive line in football (nose guard) just in the middle of all the action plus be ready to take a hit from all sides. :coolgrin:

Zap

SolarAndWood said:

Thats the one! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thats the one! ;-)

lol, that's what happens when you move 25 cord through one spot in a year.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Thats the one! ;-)

lol, that's what happens when you move 25 cord through one spot in a year.

I split where the log is and leave the mess....Just one dudes trick :coolsmile:

smokinjay said:

I never see the logs any more :coolsmirk:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I never see the logs any more :coolsmirk:

NICE!

Yea I know. I bought the first one late December of last year with a warranty box and receipt. Only issue is when it stops at night. The craw space will be flooded by the time they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.