very happy not to be burning wood this yr!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossout

Dec 15, 2010
lakeview michigan
rented a house last yr with 2 wood stoves and the place was rigged up with fuel oil furnace and man the biggest mistake in my life to rent out a place like that!.. i am so happy i get heat included in rent in my new place its always 75 and i get to sleep good at night and not have to worry about the wood stove burning the house down or fire going out and wake up to 60 lol glad to join in this site last yr i did learned alot! since it was my 1st yr burning wood..and did not counted on doing it 24 hrs a day which i ended up doing cause its not worth 300-700 a month on fuel oil! and to that guy that gave out free samples of super cedar was awesome! I'll never forget that and would buy them in the near future for campfires and recommended them to people that i know burns wood..

I can't imagine not burning wood, you will find that most people on here burn because they want to, not out of necessity. The people that have to burn seem to be ok without learning more about it. I'm glad you had a good experience. By the way,I'm one of those that has to, I couldn't afford this all electric heat.

I've lived in my house 21 years now. Back when oil was .75 a gallon I didn't mind using oil to heat the house. I even had the fireplace going every weekend from Oct through Apr. I enjoy the ambiance of a fire. When oil was near $5.00 a gallon back in 2008, I said enough is enough. Now I get to enjoy a nice fire and heat the entire house from Oct to Apr! I guess we all have options and we do what we feel is best!

webby3650 said:
I can't imagine not burning wood...
By the way,I'm one of those that has to, I couldn't afford this all electric heat.
I can't imagine not burning wood either and not because I have to. I have a well insulated home with cheap natural gas heat so wood burning is more of a lifestyle than necessity. I think I would miss it, and not like one might miss a wart that was removed either.

i started out of necessity cause i couldn't afford it either. while i probably could now, i hate the thought of giving up $3.30 or more for gas let alone fuel oil. i'll scrounge or cut what i can and buy the rest and still come out way ahead.

cass

My problem is that there are too many nice stoves made and I would like to buy one of each! I've heated with NatGas, Electric, Propane, and Wood with wood requiring the most effort, providing the most satisfaction, and feeling better than any of the others.

With near fifty percent of our money going to taxes, any chance I get to stick to the man I'll gladly take. The green factor is icing on the cake

i think i would liked it better if they had a newer stoves and not a 32 and 45 yr old wood stove they would hog up a full cord of wood a month 150 is better then 300-700 a month! lol but what i missed is the 2000 suq ft space and all.. and i really feel sorry for who ever brought or rented that house last i knew fuel oil is over 4 bucks a gal i paid over 2.90 a gal last yr

Retreadsme said:
My problem is that there are too many nice stoves made and I would like to buy one of each! I've heated with NatGas, Electric, Propane, and Wood with wood requiring the most effort, providing the most satisfaction, and feeling better than any of the others.

+1

I also have that "I would like to buy one of each" feeling - not very practical with stoves. Have to stick with collecting coins and wine (not always that practical, either, LOL).

I'm quite sure wood-burning has become an addiction for me, almost literally. I know I would suffer some serious withdrawal symptoms if I tried quitting. Thank heavens it saves money instead of costing money.

you do realize this is "hearth".com and not "no hearth" .com
I'm thinkin you're on the wrong site if you want sympathy.
Last time I checked "Sympathy" was in the dictionary between "s--t" and "syphilis"...

sounds like a drag, i make 1 fire a day when i wake up. house is between 85 and 65. not a problem at all and gas bill is less then $40 a month!!!!!

Sort of confused as to the purpose for this blog.

Need to move over to "the landlord pays for the heat.com"

I think he is saying he did it out of necessity financially. He was using two OLD stoves which is not the most pleasant experience if you are new and is now glad to have his heat included with the rent. Sounds like an appreciative farewell notice to the site.

WoodpileOCD said:
I think he is saying he did it out of necessity financially. He was using two OLD stoves which is not the most pleasant experience if you are new and is now glad to have his heat included with the rent. Sounds like an appreciative farewell notice to the site.

very well said. I wish I had the kindness and soul searching ability to have produced such kind and sympathetic words. Not me, all I heard was waaaa waaaa waaa woa is me.

Troublemaker!

Angelo C said:
...I wish I had the kindness and soul searching ability to have produced such kind and sympathetic words. Not me, all I heard was waaaa waaaa waaa woa is me.

So why put up a response at all if it's just going to be the drivel you spit out in your post #9 above? :mad:

fossil said:
Angelo C said:
...I wish I had the kindness and soul searching ability to have produced such kind and sympathetic words. Not me, all I heard was waaaa waaaa waaa woa is me.

So why put up a response at all if it's just going to be the drivel you spit out in your post #9 above? :mad:

+ 1

Not every post requires a response.

gyrfalcon said:
fossil said:
Angelo C said:

+ 1

Not every post requires a response.

So both of you took the time to respond about not responding....

LLigetfa said:
webby3650 said:
I can't imagine not burning wood...
By the way,I'm one of those that has to, I couldn't afford this all electric heat.
I can't imagine not burning wood either and not because I have to. I have a well insulated home with cheap natural gas heat so wood burning is more of a lifestyle than necessity. I think I would miss it, and not like one might miss a wart that was removed either.

We went 10 yrs. without burning wood because of the work it would take to properly install as stove, a reasonably tight house and we were side-tracked raising a young family. Withdrawals and frequent outages cured that quickly when we moved out of Seattle. There's nothing like a 7 day power outage in winter to convince one of the value of wood heat.

WoodpileOCD said:

you got that right!...

If you are forced into burning wood out of necessity and are ill prepared for it resource wise it can be a less than desireable experience! I am glad this site was able to help you through that situation and hope that some day you get to experience the joys of heating with seasoned wood and a nice EPA approved stove, you may just find it an enjoyable experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.